How bad is it to back out of an accepted lateral offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How bad is it to back out of an accepted lateral offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2019 6:53 pm

I was offered a position as a junior associate at a BL firm in a smaller market. The firm is pushing me to let them know if I'm going to accept. I really don't want to lose the offer because I like the firm and it's in the market I'd like to work in, but I have a few other call back interviews I want to see through before I make a final decision. How bad would it be to accept the offer and potentially back out if a better opportunity comes my way?

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: How bad is it to back out of an accepted lateral offer?

Post by BasilHallward » Fri May 03, 2019 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was offered a position as a junior associate at a BL firm in a smaller market. The firm is pushing me to let them know if I'm going to accept. I really don't want to lose the offer because I like the firm and it's in the market I'd like to work in, but I have a few other call back interviews I want to see through before I make a final decision. How bad would it be to accept the offer and potentially back out if a better opportunity comes my way?
Why not be honest and communicate that you have a few more interviews, tell them you need X amount of time, and that you are very excited for the opportunity?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2019 8:07 pm

BasilHallward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was offered a position as a junior associate at a BL firm in a smaller market. The firm is pushing me to let them know if I'm going to accept. I really don't want to lose the offer because I like the firm and it's in the market I'd like to work in, but I have a few other call back interviews I want to see through before I make a final decision. How bad would it be to accept the offer and potentially back out if a better opportunity comes my way?
Why not be honest and communicate that you have a few more interviews, tell them you need X amount of time, and that you are very excited for the opportunity?

I mean, I've been honest so far by telling them I'm still thinking about it. But is it a good look to tell them I'm waiting to interview with other firms? Am I effectively saying "thanks for the offer, but first let me see if these other firms that I like more than you make me an offer"?

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Fri May 03, 2019 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:

I mean, I've been honest so far by telling them I'm still thinking about it. But is it a good look to tell them I'm waiting to interview with other firms? Am I effectively saying "thanks for the offer, but first let me see if these other firms that I like more than you make me an offer"?
I don't see a problem with this. If you need "time to think about it," most will assume you have other interviews or offers anyways. You can keep this line going if you'd like, but you need to be honest and reasonable about your timeline. You stated that this offer is in a new market. Bigger question: why do you want to see the other interviews through? If you like this one, go for it. Without knowing more information, the others could take 1-2 months to fully complete.

Compadre

New

Post by Compadre » Fri May 03, 2019 8:51 pm

Email to Small Firm that Gave you an Offer

"Hi ____, I wanted to follow up with you. Last week I mentioned that I'm still thinking about the offer. The delay is largely the result of a prior commitment to meet with another law firm as part of my job search. I'm enthusiastic about working at your law firm and I expect this process to be complete by May X, 2019. I will keep you updated. Thank you and have a nice weekend."

Email to Potential Firms

"Hi ____, it was great speaking with you last week. I recognize that hiring is often a methodical process, but I wanted to let you know that I've received an offer doing insert type of work from a law firm I met with prior to our call. I've informed them that I am waiting to hear about my application with your firm before making a commitment? With that in mind, would you be able to give me a timeline for when the firm plans to make a hiring decision for this position? Thank you and have a nice weekend."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legalpotato

Bronze

Post by legalpotato » Fri May 03, 2019 9:05 pm

To answer your question, mildly bad but not really that bad at all if you don’t care about burning bridges with that firm.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:34 pm

How small is this market? Are there other BL firms you could potentially lateral to later on? You said it’s your preferred market, so that’s something to factor in.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat May 04, 2019 2:53 am

Why not just say yes to that firm? Grass always appears greener. Also, the waves always seem as if they’re larger and curling better at the next peak, just a short paddle away.

You applied to first firm for a reason. I’m not even necessarily saying stop interviewing (although you probably should), but since it’s at least reasonably likely you end up working there, maybe just say yes and assume you’ll end up working there.

And yes if you pull what you’re planning on pulling, while completely understandable objectively from an outsider, if you end up working at the first firm, those who have interviewed you and learn about it will remember.

LawAndBehold

New

Post by LawAndBehold » Sat May 04, 2019 3:59 am

I am sure in employment relations all over the world, it happens all the time, but it is still ethically wrong. You will burn bridges and it’s a small world. I would just try and buy more time to consider the offer (thank them for the “fantastic” opportunity but let them know you want to think this through because it’s a big decision and you want to be able to commit 100%, blablabla, something like that). You can also add that you are expecting another offer imminently and that you want to give that firm a fair chance of considering their offer too. Although, personally, I’d not mention that, if not absolutely necessary because it may come across as you telling them “I want to see whether I get a more decent offer” and firms also sometimes intentionally give you only a small amount of time when they know there may be competing offers, to push you to go for theirs. But, you should absolutely chase the other firms to let them know there’s an offer on the table. If they’re interested, they’ll speed up process. Good luck !

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2019 12:01 pm

BasilHallward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BasilHallward wrote:

I don't see a problem with this. If you need "time to think about it," most will assume you have other interviews or offers anyways. You can keep this line going if you'd like, but you need to be honest and reasonable about your timeline. You stated that this offer is in a new market. Bigger question: why do you want to see the other interviews through? If you like this one, go for it. Without knowing more information, the others could take 1-2 months to fully complete.
Sorry, should have been more clear -- it's in a market I'd like to work in. The offer is from a firm in my #2 market; the upcoming interviews are with firms in my #1 market. I take your point on being honest/reasonable about my timeline; I think I've been honest by telling them I'm still thinking about it. When they made the offer they asked if I had interviewed with anyone else; at the time, I hadn't so that's what I told them. Do you it's unreasonable to not tell them I've since interviewed with other firms if they haven't asked?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2019 12:04 pm

2013 wrote:How small is this market? Are there other BL firms you could potentially lateral to later on? You said it’s your preferred market, so that’s something to factor in.
Sorry, I mentioned this to someone else, but I should have been more clear -- it's in a market I'd like to work in. The offer is from a firm in my #2 market; the upcoming interviews are with firms in my #1 market.

As for the size of the market, it's pretty small. There are probably only a few other BL firms I could lateral to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2019 12:15 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:Why not just say yes to that firm? Grass always appears greener. Also, the waves always seem as if they’re larger and curling better at the next peak, just a short paddle away.

You applied to first firm for a reason. I’m not even necessarily saying stop interviewing (although you probably should), but since it’s at least reasonably likely you end up working there, maybe just say yes and assume you’ll end up working there.

And yes if you pull what you’re planning on pulling, while completely understandable objectively from an outsider, if you end up working at the first firm, those who have interviewed you and learn about it will remember.
Thanks, I mentioned this to someone else, but I should have been more clear -- it's in a market I'd like to work in. The offer is from a firm in my #2 market; the upcoming interviews are with firms in my #1 market.

Re: the bolded above, I think this is fair considering this is the only firm I currently have an offer from, and it's probably the approach I'm going to take. My question is essentially how this approach will be perceived and whether there will be any repercussions, which you pretty much answered.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2019 12:21 pm

LawAndBehold wrote:
I am sure in employment relations all over the world, it happens all the time, but it is still ethically wrong. You will burn bridges and it’s a small world. I would just try and buy more time to consider the offer (thank them for the “fantastic” opportunity but let them know you want to think this through because it’s a big decision and you want to be able to commit 100%, blablabla, something like that). You can also add that you are expecting another offer imminently and that you want to give that firm a fair chance of considering their offer too. Although, personally, I’d not mention that, if not absolutely necessary because it may come across as you telling them “I want to see whether I get a more decent offer” and firms also sometimes intentionally give you only a small amount of time when they know there may be competing offers, to push you to go for theirs. But, you should absolutely chase the other firms to let them know there’s an offer on the table. If they’re interested, they’ll speed up process. Good luck !
Thanks, the bolded is essentially what I've done. They've been very pushy, so I'm expecting them to give me a deadline soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 04, 2019 12:51 pm

LawAndBehold wrote:I am sure in employment relations all over the world, it happens all the time, but it is still ethically wrong. You will burn bridges and it’s a small world. I would just try and buy more time to consider the offer (thank them for the “fantastic” opportunity but let them know you want to think this through because it’s a big decision and you want to be able to commit 100%, blablabla, something like that). You can also add that you are expecting another offer imminently and that you want to give that firm a fair chance of considering their offer too. Although, personally, I’d not mention that, if not absolutely necessary because it may come across as you telling them “I want to see whether I get a more decent offer” and firms also sometimes intentionally give you only a small amount of time when they know there may be competing offers, to push you to go for theirs. But, you should absolutely chase the other firms to let them know there’s an offer on the table. If they’re interested, they’ll speed up process. Good luck !
There is nothing unethical about accepting a job offer and later deciding to take a better opportunity. It is no different starting at the new job and a few weeks later deciding its not the best fit and taking another opportunity. You are an at will employee and turning down a better opportunity just because you feel guilt about having already accepted a worse job unnecessarily hurts your career. This isn't OCI, where you have some career service department worried about damaging the school's reputation with the firm and NALP guidelines to deal with. It's your career, and you need to do what is right for your career. People renege on offers all the time. I had to do this once - accepted a lateral offer, my old firm gave me a counteroffer too good to pass up when I tried to give notice, and I had to back out of the offer. They understood and said if I ever am back in the market to let them know. My firm also had two separate instances in the past few weeks of partners accepting lateral offers, only to be convinced to stay at their old firm.

OP, be selfish and take whatever opportunity is best for you. Obviously it isn't ideal to back out of an accepted offer and it may well burn the bridge at the first firm, so you need to be sure the second offer is the better opportunity. But trying to string the first firm along for months while you work through the more desired lateral process is just going to frustrate the first firm and eventually they may pull their offer.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:35 pm

With everything OP has said, I don’t think it would be the worst thing to renege on the acceptance. And, as others have mentioned, this is essentially the same as someone going to a law firm for a short stint (~6 months) then leaving, except it saves the first firm money.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 06, 2019 12:09 pm

It's bad, and you may burn a bridge, but do it if you think it's worth it. You have to look out for yourself and your career. I have been in this exact same dilemma. I accepted a decent offer, but interviewed at a dream opportunity while waiting for the start date. I ended up being offered that dream position and withdrew myself from the other position days before my report date. Timing just sucks sometimes. Sure, you may put the rejected employer in a temporary bind, but they will absolutely find someone else and that someone else gets an opportunity they otherwise wouldn't have gotten.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”