Two week notice immediately after parental leave Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Two week notice immediately after parental leave

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:43 pm

Biglaw, 3rd year, major market. How would it look if someone put in their 2 week notice the day they came back from a fully paid parental leave? It doesn't seem "right" but otoh isn't illegal or against firm policy. Anyone have any experience (1st hand or not) or ideas on what to expect?

tyia

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Re: Two week notice immediately after parental leave

Post by unlicensedpotato » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:47 pm

I suspect even in the best of circumstances that they'll ask you to leave now and not pay you for the last two weeks.
Last edited by QContinuum on Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:52 pm

It's incredibly unprofessional. If you're leaving the industry permanently, fair enough--guess you don't care. If you see yourself trying to reenter BigLaw, I would seriously consider sticking on for a few months to try and make a more graceful exit.
Last edited by LBJ's Hair on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:58 pm

Meh, it happens. Attrition is a real thing, I actually don’t see the big deal at all. I know people that quit after a multi-week vacation and there were no hard feelings. All part of the game.

miskellyjohnson

New

Post by miskellyjohnson » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:13 pm

It is totally understandable that you would want to quit working after having a baby-- even if that wasnt the initial plan. Your maternity leave was a benefit. You took the benefit you were entitled to. Giving two weeks notice is standard, and you probably actually do have some work left to finish/transfer/clean up. The law firm is not going to cry about $8,000 or whatever your 2 weeks pay is, especially if you actually bill something during that time... They could tell you just to leave and not pay you, but again you probably actually do have some transition work to do and, again, it is small money to a law firm.

Continuing to work for a few months after you just had a baby because you dont want to appear unprofessional is nuts to me. Planning to go back to work, having the baby, then deciding not to go back to work is entirely common.
Last edited by QContinuum on Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:18 pm

Agree that there’s no reason not to do this. Also, depending on the nature of the job you’re leaving for, you may not have much of a choice on timing (for some jobs you have to apply when there’s an opening and follow their schedule).

(Also, the OP could be the dad here.)

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:22 pm

This is very common. I assume the naysayers above are inexperienced. This happens all the time.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Happens a lot. It may leave a bad taste in some people's mouth, but I don't think most people care much. Tons of associates leave immediately after maternity/paternity leave. Honestly leaving right away is better than coming back for a few weeks and then telling them you are leaving. At least you haven't been staffed on things that they then have you take you off of.

If I was really close to the people in my group and I trusted them, I'd consider telling the partner so that they can begin the process of replacing you. That way they aren't twiddling their thumbs, getting excited to have you back to do billable work, and then have to start the process of hiring someone new. But I wouldn't do so in a way that jeopardizes you getting paid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:40 pm

OP here. Thanks for the feedback and someone correctly pointed out that it is paternity and not maternity leave. I wrote it it ambiguously on purpose but dont really know why.

I'm guessing most people's opinion doesnt change because I'm the father?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:50 pm

I don't think it makes a difference if it's paternity versus maternity leave. This happened to a male associate at my firm a couple of years ago--he came back for a couple of weeks and then put in his 2 week notice. He claimed that he realized after the fact it wasn't feasible to continue working at our firm with a new baby and needed to resign. Some of the partners seemed less than thrilled about it, but it didn't seem to be as reputation shattering as others ITT seem to be implying (at least at my firm).

I think it's another thing if you advertise people at your firm that you're strategically doing this--I wouldn't even recommend other associates as the rumor mill can find its way to unintended ears.

miskellyjohnson

New

Post by miskellyjohnson » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:10 pm

I dont think paternity vs. maternity makes a difference.

i DO think what you do after makes a difference. If you are planning to take time off completely, or to work in a smaller firm with lower hours/stress, or to move to live closer to the grandparents or something, then it is totally understandable to say "Since the birth of my child, my priorities have changed and I can no longer dedicate myself to this type of work" or whatever. If, on the other hand, you quit and immediately end up at a biglaw firm down the street that has the same type of work/stress/hour requirements, I think that may leave a bad taste.

Have you thought about trying to have the firm accommodate you? E.g., reduced hour requirements (in exchange for reduced salary) . I agree that a firm is highly unlikely to agree to such an arrangement, but it might be worth a shot and would make it look like you didnt have a plan to screw the firm the whole time (though, like other posters, I wouldnt be so worried about this).
Last edited by QContinuum on Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:36 pm

OP here. I would be moving to live with my wife and our baby. Shes currently living in a different city and our firm only has a small satellite office in that city and no one from our group. I will indeed move to another biglaw firm in the new city.

I think I have a compelling enough reason to leave, but wanted to know what to expect on timing. Thoughts?

Thanks again people.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:40 pm

You have a legitimate reason. Obviously it’s not ideal that you are giving two weeks immediately after getting back from a 6-8+ week paternity leave (especially because it’ll look like you spent that time interviewing elsewhere), but who cares?

Obviously bridges will be burned, but the same people who are upset about you giving two weeks immediately to join your family are probably the same people who weren’t too enthused to learn you were taking paternity leave.

Can’t please everyone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:37 pm

Oh goodness that is about the most legitimate move I can imagine. Frankly I don't think anyone would be surprised to see you leave in those circumstances.

Edited to add: if you know you're not coming back, could you just give notice 2 weeks before your leave ends and not come back?

joeschmoe

New

Post by joeschmoe » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:52 pm

I did this earlier this year. There were no hard feelings, like others have said, it is part of the game. I gave notice 2 weeks before my paternity leave was up and came back to work only to turn in my laptop and say my goodbyes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 01, 2019 12:08 pm

OP here. Thanks again everyone. Looks like it's nbd.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”