When People Say Thing Like V5, V10, ..... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When People Say Thing Like V5, V10, .....

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:51 pm

A very circle-jerkish question, but when posters here say that they're V5 or V10 from X (region), are they looking at the regional Vault rankings for X or are they referring to the nationwide Vault 100 rankings?

Pretty pointless I know, but I was wondering if these regional vault rankings are of any importance when stroking each other's egos.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Re: When People Say Thing Like V5, V10, .....

Post by AdieuCali » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:32 pm

They're referring to national rankings. V&E is one of the best firms in TX, for example, but no one would call it a V5.

V5, V10, etc. is a shorthand way of saying nationally prestigious firm, though nationally generally refers to New York.

If you're not in NYC, the national Vault rankings are pretty useless, since many of the V10 are irrelevant in most major markets.

While their methodology isn't perfect, Chambers & Partners is a little more useful for firm research outside NYC, since it rates firms by practice group and market. https://chambers.com/guide/usa?publicationTypeId=5. A single office could be a powerhouse in M&A but have a pathetic litigation practice or vice versa.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:46 pm

The national vault rankings are useless for anything beyond a rough proxy for NYC-centric (M&A/Banking and Finance) corporate work prestige. I wouldn't say "V10 is irrelevant in major markets" since I'm pretty sure Kirkland is relevant in Houston, for example, but I'd agree that being V10 or V5 or whatever is irrelevant for anything that's not NYC corp work.

It's meaningless for all types of litigation.

hdivschool

Bronze

Post by hdivschool » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:00 pm

Not that it matters, but V10 is irrelevant for non-NYC major markets. Cravath and Wachtell have only NYC offices. SullCrom, Davis Polk, and Simpson Thatcher have no significant offices outside NYC. That's half the V10.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:32 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:The national vault rankings are useless for anything beyond a rough proxy for NYC-centric (M&A/Banking and Finance) corporate work prestige.
Emphasis on ROUGH proxy. My V50 is by Chambers standards a top 15 M&A/CM practice in NYC and is very prominent on both M&A/CM league tables but chills in the V30-V50 range. You really need to be drawing from multiple sources to get a real idea where your firm stands in your market and what practice areas it does best.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”