Should I Sell My Things Before Starting as Associate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I sell everything or move it and ask for reimbursement?

Poll ended at Wed May 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Sell it all?
18%
Move it?
82%

Total votes: 11

Anonymous User

Should I Sell My Things Before Starting as Associate?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:11 pm

I will be finishing a clerkship and joining a V50 firm soon in NYC. I have a lot of furniture and things to move. Should I just try to sell everything I have? Right now it is mostly IKEA stuff, but expensive IKEA stuff - like a $700 couch, and $500 armoire, and tables and stuff like that. If I sell it bit by bit over the next few months I think I can make $1000 (but might be overly optimistic). But it definitely cost me over $3,000 to acquire all my furniture over the years. I also have a rug, baby crib that cost $500, and dressers and things. Firm will compensate approved moving expenses up to $5K.

Anonymous User

Re: Should I Sell My Things Before Starting as Associate?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:20 pm

Replied to wrong thread. Please delete.

papermateflair

Bronze

Post by papermateflair » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:27 pm

The firm isn't going to pay for new furniture, but they will pay for you to have your stuff moved, so unless it's all falling apart and it won't survive the move, I would keep it. I moved my Ikea stuff after law school and it's still going strong. If you're planning to replace the couch or something soon then I wouldn't bother moving it (mostly because moving it out after it's in the new place will be a hassle), but I don't see a reason to not keep it unless for some reason you want to buy expensive stuff.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 pm

papermateflair wrote:The firm isn't going to pay for new furniture, but they will pay for you to have your stuff moved, so unless it's all falling apart and it won't survive the move, I would keep it.
Absolutely agreed. The only caveat is if you're moving from not-NYC to a much smaller NYC apartment, then selling some of it probably makes sense. But if there's nothing wrong with it and you're getting moving expenses covered (at least to some extent) there's no reason to sell it off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”