Big law with a chronic illness / disability Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big law with a chronic illness / disability

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:09 am

Does anyone have experience / tips for working in big law while dealing with a chronic illness (or disability)? I'm a 2L with a major market big law SA, and I also have ulcerative colitis that at times makes me have to use the restroom often and urgently. Would love to hear about some people's experiences with how to best handle working as an attorney with a disease or disability.

Anonymous User

Re: Big law with a chronic illness / disability

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:18 am

I've never encountered any significant resistance to the needs coming from my Crohn's--including my Remicade infusions. I disclosed to a few people but really wasn't a big problem. Unless you're in the middle of a bad flare, in which case you might have to use FMLA or something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:51 am

I don't know what area you're in but if there's a Chrons and Colitis Foundation chapter in your area it may be good to reach out and see if they'll put you in contact with a big firm attorney who can talk to you about their experience.

I've volunteered with the DC chapter (don't have chrons myself but a close family member does) and ALOT of the prominent donors were attorneys at large DC law firms (most of whom had chrons).

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:29 pm

This is not a very direct answer, I know (and might not be that pertinent in biglaw because of how little you might be in court, if ever), but FWIW, I’ve regularly seen attorneys put a judge on notice that they might need a bathroom break at relatively short notice for a medical issue, and every judge I’ve seen address this has been more than accommodating.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:37 pm

Sorry this is also not super helpful since this is not my story, but I have a friend who works biglaw while dealing with MS. It's not at such a severe stage, but he does have to deal with flares and the general exhaustion. I find that he has to work a little harder to set boundaries with people who are not explicitly aware of his condition, and we always have to remind him to be a little more forgiving on his body than other associates are. Just don't get too sucked in by other peoples' schedules and the groupthink that surrounds the whole "everyone else is working until midnight every night so I need to too" way of biglaw thinking. Lean on your staff who can help you navigate, see if you can work from home on days with bad flares, and find ways to gently but firmly let your associates and partners know that you're dealing with health conditions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:54 pm

I have an illness that requires me to go to the hospital pretty frequently and abruptly. This means I’m usually out of commission for a few hours, but people have been very understanding. I don’t think going to the bathroom frequently will be a big issue. It’s not like a partner is tracking your every movement!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have experience / tips for working in big law while dealing with a chronic illness (or disability)? I'm a 2L with a major market big law SA, and I also have ulcerative colitis that at times makes me have to use the restroom often and urgently. Would love to hear about some people's experiences with how to best handle working as an attorney with a disease or disability.
It is generally easy to work from home or come in later. No one is really dictating your schedule. You also don't go too court much in big law and if you do it is no more than an hour of work. I could only see this being an issue if you have a trial or deposition, which is rare for you to attend or do in your first 3 years if not longer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”