Tips for answering "Tell me about a time when you _____" questions? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tips for answering "Tell me about a time when you _____" questions?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:59 am

I have an interview coming up at a small firm and I've always been bad at questions like "Tell me about a time you faced adversity" or "tell me about a time you had a conflict with a co-worker?" I have a hard time thinking of examples and have completely blanked in interviews before. Does anybody else struggle with these? Do you have any tips? How closely does the answer have to match the question, can I answer "tell me about a time you failed" with the same story I would use for "tell me about a time you made a mistake"? That was a question I blanked on in a prior interview and I still don't know what they want for "a time I failed."

icansortofmath

Bronze

Re: Tips for answering "Tell me about a time when you _____" questions?

Post by icansortofmath » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Just think of something that was really annoying then frame it as a mistake.

Someone else didn’t give me an Excel model in time and I had to stay up all night to fix. Mistake: not following up earlier. Fucked up: handing the task off to someone else.

A fix is built in: stayed up al night to fix the problem.

Long term fix: do more to follow up, harder short term but long term better

This is how I handle it but YMMV. Some people definitely have canned answers.

Bronze

Re: Tips for answering "Tell me about a time when you _____" questions?

Post by 265489164158 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:42 pm

Our CDO recommended this and I found it helpful:

Think of the qualities of characteristics you want to convey about yourself. Them, reverse outline your resume and come up with examples based on your prior experience with stories to demonstrate those characteristics. Have a couple of stories or anecdotes for each of your prior experiences. This will help you not only answer the "tell me about a time when" questions, but other types of questions, as well.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”