How long to swear in for work purposes? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How long to swear in for work purposes?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:32 pm

I am asking this question anonymously because I don’t want to potentially out someone for this.

I’ve noticed that a classmate/colleague of mine that graduated with me in 2016 is still not admitted to practice anywhere, but has been working at our V100 for the past 2.5 years. As a colleague, this is somewhat concerning.

Is it normal for firms to allow associates to practice this long without being admitted? I know the NY bar takes a while to admit people, but is 2.5+ years really acceptable?

Anonymous User

Re: How long to swear in for work purposes?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:43 pm

2.5 seems very long. I graduated in 2018 and I have been working at a V100 since September in NYC and have not yet submitted my application even though I passed the July bar. I still have 10 hours of the 50 hour pro bono requirement....I haven’t heard anything from my firm about taking this long though

hatelawandgoinghome

New

Post by hatelawandgoinghome » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:40 pm

Not sure why you care.
Last edited by QContinuum on Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’ve noticed that a classmate/colleague of mine that graduated with me in 2016 is still not admitted to practice anywhere, but has been working at our V100 for the past 2.5 years.
How did you "notice" that your colleague isn't admitted to practice anywhere? If you're relying on their firm profile page, keep in mind that many attorneys do not regularly (or ever) update their firm profile. It is entirely possible that s/he was admitted long ago but simply never got around to pushing marketing/IT/HR to update their profile.

The last time I tried updating my profile, it took emails to three different people, multiple rounds of corrections, and a several-week wait before it was updated accurately (bar a single typo which I didn't care to chase after). Bureaucracy can be hellish.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:19 am

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I’ve noticed that a classmate/colleague of mine that graduated with me in 2016 is still not admitted to practice anywhere, but has been working at our V100 for the past 2.5 years.
How did you "notice" that your colleague isn't admitted to practice anywhere? If you're relying on their firm profile page, keep in mind that many attorneys do not regularly (or ever) update their firm profile. It is entirely possible that s/he was admitted long ago but simply never got around to pushing marketing/IT/HR to update their profile.

The last time I tried updating my profile, it took emails to three different people, multiple rounds of corrections, and a several-week wait before it was updated accurately (bar a single typo which I didn't care to chase after). Bureaucracy can be hellish.

OP here. Someone outside of the firm asked me about it (“why does your firm’s site say so and so is not barred”) and being the nosy attorney I am, I searched for my colleague in the two states he or she would be barred.

And to the previous poster, I care because it seems weird/off that someone can work as an “attorney” without being barred for that long. Obviously it’s technically none of my business, but that’s why I asked it on here instead of pointing it out to folks at work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:04 am

Website bio is meaningless. If you’re sincerely concerned, send your classmate an email instead of anonymously posting on TLS. Your classmate’s law firm and the state ethics committee will handle any potential misconduct.

My best friend in law school and his gf both passed the CA bar. His gf posted a status about passing; my best friend did not. Due to my friend being private, random classmates of ours would ask me if my friend failed the CA bar because they didn’t see his 1) website bio or 2) a social media post posting. Assumptions and gossip suck.

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:

OP here. Someone outside of the firm asked me about it (“why does your firm’s site say so and so is not barred”) and being the nosy attorney I am, I searched for my colleague in the two states he or she would be barred.

And to the previous poster, I care because it seems weird/off that someone can work as an “attorney” without being barred for that long. Obviously it’s technically none of my business, but that’s why I asked it on here instead of pointing it out to folks at work.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:53 am

Website bio is different from state bar association websites, though, which the OP said they checked (assuming the person in question didn’t take the bar is some other random location, of course).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:25 am

OP here.

I saw the colleague/classmate while getting in this morning and made some small talk and found a way to bring up swearing in. I kind of felt bad after because they failed the first time and didn’t take the NYLE until after passing, so they are just waiting to get sworn in now (apparently there is a backlog of 6+ months or something).

TheatreofDreams

New

Post by TheatreofDreams » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Appreciate the OP following up/updating, but in general it's probably best not to ask/inquire on these topics. Just leave it, i'm sure there is a good reason.
Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:53 am

Imagine spending time on an inquiry into one of your colleagues having nothing to do with you that the firm is clearly fine with, and asking a question guaranteed to embarrass them because you’re the self-appointed investigator of what “seems weird” in your firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”