Carving out personal time as Biglaw junior - average/possible?!?! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
abiglawyer

New

Re: Carving out personal time as Biglaw junior - average/possible?!?!

Post by abiglawyer » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:42 pm

If you're willing to do away with boundaries in order to take a long shot at partner then what are you asking? Hook your work phone up to a speaker system and be the most responsive associate at your firm (and enjoy never dating/waking up to automated firm emails in the early morning after a sixteen hour workday).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:49 pm

abiglawyer wrote:If you're willing to do away with boundaries in order to take a long shot at partner then what are you asking? Hook your work phone up to a speaker system and be the most responsive associate at your firm (and enjoy never dating/waking up to automated firm emails in the early morning after a sixteen hour workday).
That and even if you don't get urgent work emails throughout the night, you will almost certainly get announcement emails between 3 and 5am every single day of your life.

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:12 pm

Cool story bro.

It's much easier to do these ridiculous scenarios than to give actual advice.

abiglawyer

New

Post by abiglawyer » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:29 pm

MaxMcMann wrote:Cool story bro.

What kind of advice are you looking for? We told you no one answers emails at 4 a.m. and you blew us off as not being partner material. If I'm being flippant it's because I've seen dozens of 2Ls in this forum overconfidently projecting their partnership chances, and I'm just trying to make the best of a boring situation.

To give you a more serious answer, there's nothing easier than saying you're going to do something. But living through months or years of consecutive fifteen-hour days is an entirely different matter. Once you've done a little bit of that, you'll have a different opinion on whether or not you want to wake up in the middle of the night to answer emails.

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:41 pm

abiglawyer wrote:
MaxMcMann wrote:Cool story bro.

What kind of advice are you looking for? We told you no one answers emails at 4 a.m. and you blew us off as not being partner material. If I'm being flippant it's because I've seen dozens of 2Ls in this forum overconfidently projecting their partnership chances, and I'm just trying to make the best of a boring situation.

To give you a more serious answer, there's nothing easier than saying you're going to do something. But living through months or years of consecutive fifteen-hour days is an entirely different matter. Once you've done a little bit of that, you'll have a different opinion on whether or not you want to wake up in the middle of the night to answer emails.
Yeah but you need to look at it from a game theory perspective. If I opt not to go for partner, I already know exactly what to do - assert reasonable boundaries.

Now I'm asking for the other case. You might remember this from the "forks" book that everyone here says to read for 0L.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abiglawyer

New

Post by abiglawyer » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:03 pm

MaxMcMann wrote: Yeah but you need to look at it from a game theory perspective. If I opt not to go for partner, I already know exactly what to do - assert reasonable boundaries.

Now I'm asking for the other case. You might remember this from the "forks" book that everyone here says to read for 0L.
Wow, thanks for explaining that to me. Now that I understand what you're looking for, I think I can help you out; that is, assuming I'm not too dumb to do so!

My first piece of advice would just be to point out that your attitude is great. There's nothing more pleasant than sophomoric condescension to someone who knows a subject significantly better than you do. I promise that partners especially enjoy being condescended to, so you're off to a great start, no matter which fork you pick!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:55 am

Pls don’t feed the troll

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Post by MaxMcMann » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:45 am

abiglawyer wrote:
MaxMcMann wrote: Yeah but you need to look at it from a game theory perspective. If I opt not to go for partner, I already know exactly what to do - assert reasonable boundaries.

Wow, thanks for explaining that to me. Now that I understand what you're looking for, I think I can help you out; that is, assuming I'm not too dumb to do so!

My first piece of advice would just be to point out that your attitude is great. There's nothing more pleasant than sophomoric condescension to someone who knows a subject significantly better than you do. I promise that partners especially enjoy being condescended to, so you're off to a great start, no matter which fork you pick!
You have proven completely unable to give me a good answer despite your obvious and unquestionable superiority.

patent_guy

New

Post by patent_guy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:48 am

MaxMcMann wrote:
abiglawyer wrote:

You have proven completely unable to give me a good answer despite your obvious and unquestionable superiority.
My advice is to set your boundaries because you have demonstrated in this thread that you are probably very difficult to work with, decreasing the already slim chances of making partner.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:58 am

Ex-banker guy/gal. Serious answer to 4am email kid, assuming s/he's not a troll.

No one will email you at 4am expecting you to answer immediately unless it's already been established that you will need to be awake at that time. Partners need to sleep too. That said, I used to set 6:30am alarms specifically to spin through email. 95% of the time I'd just have newsletters and I'd go back to bed, sleep for another or two. But 5% there is something semi-important, and then I'd be able to respond/get an early start. So IDK, do that if you want to be exceptional.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ex-banker guy/gal. Serious answer to 4am email kid, assuming s/he's not a troll.

No one will email you at 4am expecting you to answer immediately unless it's already been established that you will need to be awake at that time. Partners need to sleep too. That said, I used to set 6:30am alarms specifically to spin through email. 95% of the time I'd just have newsletters and I'd go back to bed, sleep for another or two. But 5% there is something semi-important, and then I'd be able to respond/get an early start. So IDK, do that if you want to be exceptional.
Yeah, literally the only time I've been "expected" to answer at 4am was a deal where the deal team had literally been in the office all weekend, we had all pulled all-nighters in the office together and we were doing all the work to build up to a signing to take place ASAP that morning for a filing once the market opened. Therefore, we were all still awake at 4am after said 48-hour work bender so e-mails were flying back and forth.

Otherwise NO ONE will expect you to answer at 4 am. No. One.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:00 am

Ex banker intern and ex summer associate here with very demanding MDs/partners that did expect occasional 4am responses.

They ALWAYS warned it might be coming.

With the MD it was an immediate response saying something like I will look at this now and I will send you comments when I land.

With the partner he’d literally say one of the associates needs to stay up just in case they get ready to close (this happened quite a bit, I was on an east coast team and some deals were in CA and some involved international investors.) We always knew because when it got close, the BC emails started flying.

NOBODY is insane enough to expect you to answer emails at 4am with no warning at all. That said, you ARE expected to keep a reasonable life schedule even when between deals. Responding to an email at 10am (maybe earlier, depending on partner I assume) with “sorry just saw this. Slept in because it’s been slow” Is not gonna cut it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2019 6:37 am

It seems OP is wanting to set boundaries and receive a guarantee from the attorneys OP work with to be okay with the boundaries OP has set. Unfortunately, there is never a guarantee. Not all attorney are reasonable. And while personal boundaries are undoubtedly reasonable, you cannot reason with unreasonable people.

This is why it is important to prioritize your work and your life. If you are staffed on a major deal, then it is necessary for you to be on top of every item at all times. If a partner who is not staffed on the major deal assign objectively immaterial busy work at 7 PM and threatens it needs to be done ASAP, then don’t be afraid to say you are able to complete the busy work at a later date. If the 7 PM busy work partner bitches about you being slow, then you know that partner is unreasonable.Especially if you need to unwind for a bit to fully focus on major deals you are staffed on. I would rather have the reputation that I managed my role in a major transactional well instead of trying to please an unreasonable partner with impossible expectations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”