Biglaw Junior Lateraling to Midlaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw Junior Lateraling to Midlaw

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi everybody. I'm a first year biglaw associate in a major market. My hours aren't bad, but I'm not interested in the work I do and can't see myself practicing this type of law for much longer.

I have an offer to join a midlaw firm doing the type of work that I want to do, but I'm worried that leaving biglaw with less than a year of experience is going to be a black mark. Should I hold out for an opportunity to lateral within biglaw, or can I make the jump without tanking my career and future in-house exit options?

objctnyrhnr

Re: Biglaw Junior Lateraling to Midlaw

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everybody. I'm a first year biglaw associate in a major market. My hours aren't bad, but I'm not interested in the work I do and can't see myself practicing this type of law for much longer.

I have an offer to join a midlaw firm doing the type of work that I want to do, but I'm worried that leaving biglaw with less than a year of experience is going to be a black mark. Should I hold out for an opportunity to lateral within biglaw, or can I make the jump without tanking my career and future in-house exit options?
Your instincts are correct. You haven’t even approached your peak marketability. You will have a hundred offers. I understand that when you are asked to do grunt work assignments over and over it can be hard. Just stick it out. This is forever.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:24 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi everybody. I'm a first year biglaw associate in a major market. My hours aren't bad, but I'm not interested in the work I do and can't see myself practicing this type of law for much longer.

Your instincts are correct. You haven’t even approached your peak marketability. You will have a hundred offers. I understand that when you are asked to do grunt work assignments over and over it can be hard. Just stick it out. This is forever.
My fellow mod is correct. Stick it out. Don't leave as a first-year. It isn't forever!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 am

objctnyrhnr wrote:

This is the OP. Is that still true if I'm trying to make a practice group change? That's what I meant by "type of work", not type of assignment. I'm fine doing grunt work, but I want a career as a tech trans lawyer, and I'm doing capital markets.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:

This is the OP. Is that still true if I'm trying to make a practice group change? That's what I meant by "type of work", not type of assignment. I'm fine doing grunt work, but I want a career as a tech trans lawyer, and I'm doing capital markets.
Get a recruiter and see if they can help you lateral to another big law firm that will retool you. I'd hold out -- you're still junior enough that you can make an attempt at the move for a place that needs bodies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:09 pm

QContinuum wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:

My fellow mod is correct. Stick it out. Don't leave as a first-year. It isn't forever!
Sorry yes that

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:

Is there any way your current firm would let you change practice groups? As a first year, they should be fairly willing to accommodate a switch, as a lot of first-year training is interchangeable (many firms don't even assign first years to specific practice groups). I feel like getting into the right practice group first, then sticking it out until you're a third-year would be the easiest way of going about this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”