Changing practice cover letter question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Changing practice cover letter question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:51 pm

I’m currently a 3rd year looking to change practice groups. I reached out to my career services office and they said that I should mention in my cover letter that id be willing to negotiate class year.

1) should I really mention that? My gut says no.

2) how exactly should I go about mentioning this? At the beginning? At the end?

I’ve tried applying through friends/classmates but I’ve had no luck since they just kind of give it to HR and HR sees that I’m a 3rd year in X and the position is for a first/second year in Y

Anonymous User

Re: Changing practice cover letter question

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:43 pm

I changed practice groups and had to take a two-year cut. I would not mention changing practice groups in your cover letter. Most law firms understand that they cannot bill you out as a third-year when you are just learning the practice. Law firms will already be thinking about a class year cut when they bring you in for an interview and will bring up taking a class year cut on their own once you get to the offer stage and potentially in the interview.

I worry that bringing it up on your own makes you seem desperate or not confident in your ability to change practices and be successful. I would be prepared to answer whether you would be willing to take a class cut in an interview. When I was asked this question, I mentioned that I was comfortable with coming in at my current level, but I would be flexible on class year if the firm thought it made sense. I also mentioned that ultimately I want this move to be successful for me and the firm, so if taking a class year cut would help make the move successful, I would be willing to do it.

I note that it took me a long time to switch practice groups and I only had success getting interviews when I applied directly, not through a recruiter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I changed practice groups and had to take a two-year cut. I would not mention changing practice groups in your cover letter. Most law firms understand that they cannot bill you out as a third-year when you are just learning the practice. Law firms will already be thinking about a class year cut when they bring you in for an interview and will bring up taking a class year cut on their own once you get to the offer stage and potentially in the interview.

I worry that bringing it up on your own makes you seem desperate or not confident in your ability to change practices and be successful. I would be prepared to answer whether you would be willing to take a class cut in an interview. When I was asked this question, I mentioned that I was comfortable with coming in at my current level, but I would be flexible on class year if the firm thought it made sense. I also mentioned that ultimately I want this move to be successful for me and the firm, so if taking a class year cut would help make the move successful, I would be willing to do it.

I note that it took me a long time to switch practice groups and I only had success getting interviews when I applied directly, not through a recruiter.
Hi, thanks. This is really helpful. When you say do not mention changing practice groups in your second sentence, did you mean not mention the class year cut? I wouldn’t know how to go about writing a cover letter without explicitly explaining I’m changing practice groups (trying to go from a regulatory practice to a niche corporate practice). Obviously I don’t harp on the fact that I’ve never done the work before and say that my background doing regulatory work will be useful, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I changed practice groups and had to take a two-year cut. I would not mention changing practice groups in your cover letter. Most law firms understand that they cannot bill you out as a third-year when you are just learning the practice. Law firms will already be thinking about a class year cut when they bring you in for an interview and will bring up taking a class year cut on their own once you get to the offer stage and potentially in the interview.

Hi, thanks. This is really helpful. When you say do not mention changing practice groups in your second sentence, did you mean not mention the class year cut? I wouldn’t know how to go about writing a cover letter without explicitly explaining I’m changing practice groups (trying to go from a regulatory practice to a niche corporate practice). Obviously I don’t harp on the fact that I’ve never done the work before and say that my background doing regulatory work will be useful, etc.
Sorry! Yes, I meant not mentioning a class year cut in the cover letter. I did mention that I’d be transitioning to a new practice group and how my skills would translate to the new practice group.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”