Biglaw Partnership Prospects Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What are the chances that working hard gets me to partner?

0-20%
81%
20-40%
12%
60-80%
7%
80-100%
No votes

Total votes: 42

Anonymous User

Biglaw Partnership Prospects

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:49 am

Can we collect some thoughts on what people think the partnerships prospects are at various firms? Something along the lines of, at firm X, the associates feel like if they do a pretty good job at the things they can control (consistently billing hours typical of people who make partner, making sure the right people internally know who you are, putting yourself out there for business development even if you’re not necessarily successful), then they have a 70% chance at making partner within years 9-12.

nealric

Re: Biglaw Partnership Prospects

Post by nealric » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:15 am

I'm not sure how useful this exercise will be. So much depends on specific relationships and specifics of a given working group. Not something I'd advise prospective associates to take too much stock in.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 am

Yeah, I don’t even know how anyone could begin to guess at this.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:07 pm

Safest to assume 0% until you’re a senior associate and see where you stand and the demand for partners in your group.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:44 pm

If you get a few years in and have consistently good reviews, a useful skill set, and the tolerance for the workload/unpredictability, I think your chance of making partner *somewhere* is pretty good. But 0-20% percent of people in your class when you're a first year will make partner no matter where you go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”