Information about Yale PhD? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Igloo2022

New

Information about Yale PhD?

Post by Igloo2022 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:19 pm

I'm wondering if there is anyone on TLS who has information about the PhD program that Yale established a few years ago. Is is a solid alternative to VAP positions? How large are the entering cohorts? Thanks.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Re: Information about Yale PhD?

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:44 pm

I'd do a VAP over the Yale PhD. The Yale PhD is the equivalent of taking three years off work to write three law review articles. It doesn't even give you a substantive skill set like a PhD in an actual discipline. Doing a Yale Law PhD isn't going to convince a faculty looking for a sociologist/mathematician/economist for their law school faculty that you can do any of those things. And, quite frankly, if you attempt to do those things, your scholarship will likely have glaring weaknesses, because, believe it or not, people who spend 5+yrs in actual PhD programs are likely a whole lot better at [insert type of analysis] than you are with your B.A. in Econ/Math/Sociology. Meanwhile, the VAP gets you exposed the the responsibilities of a professor, let's the school you're working at get a taste of what you'd be like on their faculty (I know some VAP programs are good at offering their VAPs interviews), and you'll have plenty of time to research/write.
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

Igloo2022

New

Post by Igloo2022 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:01 pm

Would a PhD in Philosophy from a top program like NYU be better for getting a position in jurisprudence or constitutional law?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:46 pm

Does anyone know how the Yale PhDs have placed? I know it's a new program, but there should be a couple years of placement records by now, right?
Last edited by QContinuum on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: This post falls on the borderline of what qualifies for anon. Re-anoned upon review.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how the Yale PhDs have placed? I know it's a new program, but there should be a couple years of placement records by now, right?
Contact them and ask. If they're not willing to tell you, it's a bad sign (but it's Yale, so I figure they're probably doing okay).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”