How to Leave & Preserve Relationships Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to Leave & Preserve Relationships

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:28 am

I am leaving a relatively small corporate practice group after eight months. I’ve done good work and have, I believe, made some good connections. That being said, the opportunity I have seems worth making a jump. I know the partners will be shocked since I’m new, and some may be disgruntled that I’m joining an indirect competitor. Any thoughts on how to leave? I worry that not explaining myself will make me look bad, but giving too much info could also backfire.

Silver

Re: How to Leave & Preserve Relationships

Post by 2013 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:54 am

you’ve been at your firm for only 8 months and are leaving already. I honestly doubt you will be able to preserve those relationships.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:19 am

From a networking perspective, it sounds like you might just have to consider this a wash. Agreed with the poster above. 8 months just isn’t enough time.

papermateflair

Bronze

Post by papermateflair » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:49 pm

In a couple of years no one is even going to remember you unless you do something spectacularly stupid on the way out the door, so I would just try and make as few waves as possible. If there's a partner you trust, you could try to get them to help smooth things over with anyone else, but don't give them any negative information (leaving because you don't like the work, you hate a certain partner, aren't paid enough, etc.). Focus ONLY on the positives about the new job (it was a really good opportunity you couldn't pass up) AND the positives about the job you're leaving (you've appreciated all their mentoring, couldn't have asked for a better group of people to work with, etc.) (within limits - don't brown nose too much, obviously you're leaving the job for a reason).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”