Is BigFed too late for this 2L? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is BigFed too late for this 2L?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:58 pm

I am a 2L at a lower-T14 who is now considering aiming to work for the government.
I struck out at OCI and just recently accepted an offer to intern at a BigLaw firm's international office this summer but it will not lead to a post-grad offer and will barely cover living expenses so that sucks. I have started to think that working for the Federal Government is probably a better fit for me anyway (work/life balance, culture, etc).
I've mostly taken transactional/finance courses so I was thinking OCC, FDIC, CFPB, etc. As for experience, I did SEC Honors this past fall.

Is it too late for me to try to get a BigFed job right out of graduation? Should I try to get a summer internship in one of those agencies and renege on my acceptance?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Is BegFed too late for this 2L?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:09 am

I would take the big law international offer. It will make you look better at 3L OCI. Also, most of the prestigious big fed summer deadlines have passed (e.g. DOJ SLIP, FTC, FBI, White House counsel, etc.) You can still apply for government honors attorneys positions during the summer/fall for after graduation without working in gov this summer. I would try to get a clerkship, looks favorably by gov. Then, see if you can do another gov externship 3L year. Also, there are very few gov honors attorney positions, and most of the people who apply have big law summer experience. Having some type of private sector experience will really be in your favor!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I would take the big law international offer. It will make you look better at 3L OCI. Also, most of the prestigious big fed summer deadlines have passed (e.g. DOJ SLIP, FTC, FBI, White House counsel, etc.) You can still apply for government honors attorneys positions during the summer/fall for after graduation without working in gov this summer. I would try to get a clerkship, looks favorably by gov. Then, see if you can do another gov externship 3L year. Also, there are very few gov honors attorney positions, and most of the people who apply have big law summer experience. Having some type of private sector experience will really be in your favor!
Thanks! Is there any way to check how much each agency hires out of law school? Specially outside honors programs.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:03 am

Generally, they don’t. Honors programs are the only entry level hiring and otherwise they hire laterals. (Maybe not for SSA or VA, but those don’t sound like what you’re looking for.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Having some type of private sector experience will really be in your favor!
Is this exclusive to litigation experience? or would I have a shot with transactional practice?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”