Missed Bar Laptop Deadline - Help? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Missed Bar Laptop Deadline - Help?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:08 pm

I recently lateralled to another state and am taking the bar in Feb. I have been absolutely slammed at work and very sick this last month. I just found out I missed the deadline to register to use a laptop. Has anyone had a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated.

albanach

Gold

Re: Missed Bar Laptop Deadline - Help?

Post by albanach » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently lateralled to another state and am taking the bar in Feb. I have been absolutely slammed at work and very sick this last month. I just found out I missed the deadline to register to use a laptop. Has anyone had a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated.
Lots of folk have, though not me personally. Work on your penmanship.

Honestly, don't panic about it. People still handwrite the bar and pass. But get practicing now - you'll have limited space to write and you need to make sure that it's legible enough for the marker to figure out what you're trying to say.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:43 pm

albanach wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I recently lateralled to another state and am taking the bar in Feb. I have been absolutely slammed at work and very sick this last month. I just found out I missed the deadline to register to use a laptop. Has anyone had a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated.

Honestly, don't panic about it. People still handwrite the bar and pass. But get practicing now - you'll have limited space to write and you need to make sure that it's legible enough for the marker to figure out what you're trying to say.
Thanks. More wondering if people have had success in registering past the deadline. I do have some compelling excuses.

FedFan123

Bronze

Post by FedFan123 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
albanach wrote:

Thanks. More wondering if people have had success in registering past the deadline. I do have some compelling excuses.
I don’t think being busy or sick are all that compelling to be honest

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
albanach wrote:

Call and try. I have a friend that had this literally happen in the 2018 administration and he/she called and it seemed like totally not a problem. It honestly shocked me. YMMV

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:51 pm

BasilHallward wrote: Call and try. I have a friend that had this literally happen in the 2018 administration and he/she called and it seemed like totally not a problem. It honestly shocked me. YMMV
I imagine it varies a lot from state to state. Some probably welcome the laptop fee as extra cash. Others (I'm thinking Virginia for no good reason other than the fact they still make you take the exam while wearing a suit) probably take the view that a deadline is a deadline and, given you'd have just lost your client's court case by filing late, think you shouldn't get much slack here.

Not much to lose by asking, but ask sooner over later and don't argue if they say no.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:00 pm

FWIW I missed the laptop registration for the July UBE in NY...they wouldn't let me register late. But don't worry, the exam wasn't that hard to write and word on the street is hand writers are not graded by those who grade typed essays. I was super worried all summer but ended up scoring a 156 (326 total) on the writing section.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”