Lateral Job Hunt - Constant Rejection Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Lateral Job Hunt - Constant Rejection

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Do people request a follow-up after a lateral callback interview? There are no other competing offers. I am in the NYC market. If yes, what is the most appropriate time frame to follow up?

beeoBoop

New

Post by beeoBoop » Tue May 07, 2019 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do people request a follow-up after a lateral callback interview? There are no other competing offers. I am in the NYC market. If yes, what is the most appropriate time frame to follow up?
Others may disagree but I wouldn't follow up without a reason. If you can come up with a reason then do it (another offer, admission into the NY bar, etc). Even if it's to update your resume go for it. But just asking for an update probably won't get a substantive response you'll be satisfied with. If they respond it'll probably be to say that you're still under review or that they'll be in touch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 07, 2019 7:51 pm

beeoBoop wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do people request a follow-up after a lateral callback interview? There are no other competing offers. I am in the NYC market. If yes, what is the most appropriate time frame to follow up?
Others may disagree but I wouldn't follow up without a reason. If you can come up with a reason then do it (another offer, admission into the NY bar, etc). Even if it's to update your resume go for it. But just asking for an update probably won't get a substantive response you'll be satisfied with. If they respond it'll probably be to say that you're still under review or that they'll be in touch.
I agree with this. I’ve always just gotten a generic response (“we are reviewing. You will hear back shortly.”) and then a rejection shortly thereafter. Usually I think it’s because they have an outstanding offer they’re waiting to hear back from before sending out rejections.

lateralquestions

New

Post by lateralquestions » Tue May 07, 2019 7:59 pm

This is helpful. I guess I will hang tight.
Anonymous User wrote:
beeoBoop wrote:
I agree with this. I’ve always just gotten a generic response (“we are reviewing. You will hear back shortly.”) and then a rejection shortly thereafter. Usually I think it’s because they have an outstanding offer they’re waiting to hear back from before sending out rejections.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Nothing worse than the anxiety of waiting to find out if you received an offer or rejection.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”