First Year Associates...when did your hours pick up? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

First Year Associates...when did your hours pick up?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:46 pm

I’m a first year who just started at a Biglaw firm in NY. Oct I billed 70 and Nov I’m only up to 30.

I work in a niche structured finance group that doesn’t have as much junior diligence work compared to M&A as I’ve spent most of my time drafting trust agreements and filing UCC financing statements.

Anyone more senior with similar experience? I’ve mostly just sat at my desk not doing much...hoping I get more work once Dec rolls around.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: First Year Associates...when did your hours pick up?

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:58 pm

As others will inevitably (and correctly) tell you: don’t worry about it. For me, hours picked up in January/feb of my first year. Haven’t slowed down since...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:00 pm

1st year at V10 and I billed 60 hours last month and am right on your pace for this month but things are picking up for me now, everyone has just been saying this is how corporate work goes as two deals I was died and that there is just an ebb and flow you "try" to get used to in corporate biglaw practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:22 pm

It hasn’t picked up for me and I’ve been here for a year. I only billed like 1400 for the calendar year I was here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:41 pm

I picked up right at the end of the year for a few months, then died for a couple months, then picked up again. It's just too volatile as a first year to really predict.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:33 pm

I think this is going to vary practice area to practice area and firm to firm. For me, I didn't really start feeling like I could generally, reliably, expect enough hours to track anywhere close to bonuses until maybe June-August of my first full calendar year. I missed bonus my first year. Lots of first years in my west coast general corporate practice group were the same. I think it was a bit of a slow year but typically first years in my firm and practice area probably do not really start getting fully geared up until more like February/March/April at least of their first full calendar year.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:29 pm

In the past two weeks, I billed 100 hours. Today, I had nothing to do and I'm freaking out. It's sleeting outside and I went to the gym.

generaltoast

New

Post by generaltoast » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:57 pm

Didn't start being consistently busy until second year. First year I missed our 1950 bonus target by 100 hours. On track to hit 2400 hours as a second year. Do not read too much into being slow, especially as a junior.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:25 pm

Not adding anything new here, but this point can't be stressed enough. Don't worry. My first year I ended up billing well over 2000 hours, and I basically did nothing until the end of February. The hours will come, so just try to enjoy it. I wouldn't even start trying to hustle for work yet--wait till the holidays are over.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Never picked up first year. Under 1400 first year and got no bonus.

2350 second year and got half summer bonus (because low first year). Multiple true all nighters a month. Would one hundred percent rather be billing nothing and looking for a job than dealing with nonstop work, so I guess I picked the wrong career. You should relish your situation right now.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:08 am

I’ve been on this forum a while and this gets posted each year. OP complains he’s slow then returns a few years later complaining about how he’s at a sweatshop.

If you’re slow great, do some email, shopping, relax, go home early and don’t sweat it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:48 am

barkschool wrote:I’ve been on this forum a while and this gets posted each year. OP complains he’s slow then returns a few years later complaining about how he’s at a sweatshop.

If you’re slow great, do some email, shopping, relax, go home early and don’t sweat it.
Sure, fair enough, except that in this particular year the economy and world in general appear to be quite volatile. Also, anecdotal, but things seem slow for mid and senior associates in my biglaw office.

2009 is way too fresh on our minds.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:36 am

Same, I am likely finishing the calendar year with under 1600 hours. It sucks because I really wanted to get my bonus, and now with the stock market being in free fall, hoping that the lateral market doesn't dry up in case I get the axe.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:21 pm

I've been swamped since the second day I started. It sucks. Enjoy the stub year while you can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Things seem slow lit. Normal for cap markets M&A but funds-related work is as active as ever. I would read too much into it until you see two consecutive quarters w same trend.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Never picked up first year. Under 1400 first year and got no bonus.

2350 second year and got half summer bonus (because low first year). Multiple true all nighters a month. Would one hundred percent rather be billing nothing and looking for a job than dealing with nonstop work, so I guess I picked the wrong career. You should relish your situation right now.
That's bullshit they didn't give you a bonus for 2400 your second year based on you first year...

I started getting really busy in November. But, I'm in a smaller regional office and we don't have a ton of associates. I also don't think it helped I told everyone I'm not taking any trips over the holiday season :)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Never picked up first year. Under 1400 first year and got no bonus.

Thats shitty re bonus. As an aside, you gotta be transactional, right? 2350 + multiple all nighters PER MONTH? Couldn’t imagine this in lit..

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:55 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:

That's bullshit they didn't give you a bonus for 2400 your second year based on you first year...

I started getting really busy in November. But, I'm in a smaller regional office and we don't have a ton of associates. I also don't think it helped I told everyone I'm not taking any trips over the holiday season :)
Always, always lie about traveling. Or at least evade the question.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”