urgent - interview scheduling question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

urgent - interview scheduling question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:11 pm

A partner reached out to ask my availability for a phone interview. I told him the day I will be available. He hasn't responded with a time. Does this mean I have to be prepared for him to call at any time during that day? That's a bit nerve wrecking, to wait by the phone all day like that.

Anonymous User

Re: urgent - interview scheduling question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A partner reached out to ask my availability for a phone interview. I told him the day I will be available. He hasn't responded with a time. Does this mean I have to be prepared for him to call at any time during that day? That's a bit nerve wrecking, to wait by the phone all day like that.
The partner will likely respond with the time he will call you. What day is the interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A partner reached out to ask my availability for a phone interview. I told him the day I will be available. He hasn't responded with a time. Does this mean I have to be prepared for him to call at any time during that day? That's a bit nerve wrecking, to wait by the phone all day like that.
The partner will likely respond with the time he will call you. What day is the interview?
Tomorrow lol. If he doesn't respond by tonight idk what to do.

Beatmyshorts

New

Post by Beatmyshorts » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:26 pm

When did the initial conversation (him asking if you're available) happen? If it was yesterday or today, I'd assume that you'll hear from him late tonight or early tomorrow morning. I'd probably just think he got hung up with something and will get back to you when he can.

If it was before that, I'd assume that he forgot about it altogether and send a very polite follow up ("I hope you're having a nice evening. I know we talked about tomorrow as a possible date for a phone interview. Does tomorrow still work for your schedule?")

Anonesq

New

Post by Anonesq » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:44 pm

He may call tonight while you’re sleeping... better stay awake all night.

Lol I’m sure he’ll touch base in the morning. If not then reach out to confirm the time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tyler_Durden

New

Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:54 pm

If he doesn't provide a time, then expect him to call at any time. If you don't answer right away, it's not a big deal, you can just call him back. He didn't provide you with a time for a call, he can't expect you to be available by your phone every second of the day.

If the day for the interview passes and you don't get a call at all, send a polite followup email reminding him that you were scheduled for a call, and suggesting a few specific days and times that you are available.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:36 pm

If you didn't send a follow-up email last night, feel free to send one now. If you did send a follow-up email last night, wait until tonight/tomorrow morning to send a second follow-up.

In any case (assuming you haven't heard anything further), don't stress out too much about being constantly available today. Like, if you have other meetings or classes, don't cancel them in favor of sitting by the phone. You don't even know if the partner will call! If the partner does call when you're not available, simply call them back as soon as you can afterward*. As the previous poster notes, the partner can't reasonably expect you to be available every second between 9 and 6 on the off chance s/he will call.

*Note: "As soon as you can" means as soon as you're in a good place - physically and mentally - for an interview. Get to a quiet place where you can focus, and catch your breath and mentally get yourself in interview mode before calling back.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”