Any success applying through careers page? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any success applying through careers page?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Recently law a job I think I’d be a good fit for on a firm’s page. Unfortunately, I don’t know anyone at the firm and don’t have someone who can refer me. I know that is always the best route to take.

I’ve been working with a recruiter, but this job specifically states that recruiters will not be paid for referrals (which is why I’m assuming the recruiter didn’t tell me about this job).

Should I try to find someone, anyone, who works there for a referral or would it be okay to just apply on the website?

I don’t know how successful people are when applying through the website. On the contrary, people seem to be very successful when using a reference.

QContinuum

Re: Any success applying through careers page?

Post by QContinuum » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:29 pm

Are your law school's graduates well-represented or rare at this firm? Like, a T6 grad probably wouldn't get too much traction reaching out to a random alum at a NYC V50. But someone who graduated at the top of the class at a T2 might very well be able to get help from a partner who went to the same T2 - school spirit is a real thing.

If the above doesn't apply to you, I think OK to just apply directly. It's not optimal, but I have had success - and have known people who have had success - applying to positions directly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:17 am

QContinuum wrote:Are your law school's graduates well-represented or rare at this firm? Like, a T6 grad probably wouldn't get too much traction reaching out to a random alum at a NYC V50. But someone who graduated at the top of the class at a T2 might very well be able to get help from a partner who went to the same T2 - school spirit is a real thing.

If the above doesn't apply to you, I think OK to just apply directly. It's not optimal, but I have had success - and have known people who have had success - applying to positions directly.
Around 5% of the firm went to my law school. Just no one I personally know went there. I could try to reach out to a former classmate that I know vaguely, but I feel like that is just as useless as applying via the website.

So maybe applying through the website may be the best option here

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:55 am

Just apply via the website. Even if you make a connection at the firm, it will be a superficial one and they'll probably tell you to apply via the website anyways. Also, every day you wait they'll receive more applications. As you spend time trying to connect with someone, HR will be setting up first round interviews already.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:36 pm

jhett wrote:Just apply via the website. Even if you make a connection at the firm, it will be a superficial one and they'll probably tell you to apply via the website anyways. Also, every day you wait they'll receive more applications. As you spend time trying to connect with someone, HR will be setting up first round interviews already.
Agree. Given the context, I think best to apply directly instead of trying to form and immediately leverage a very tenuous connection.

Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”