Anyone have success cold-emailing recruiting for lateral job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anyone have success cold-emailing recruiting for lateral job?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:57 pm

I’ve been interviewing at a few firms in the city and I am looking to apply to other firms that don’t have any posting.

Has anyone reached out to recruiting with a cold email just asking if they are looking for a ______ associate?

I used to email random partners when I was in law school, but, realize now (from what my colleagues have said), that that is usually hopeless.

I am wondering if anyone has reached out to recruiting and received a positive response.

I worked with a recruiter who got me like 7 interviews by reaching out to “contacts,” which always seems to be an internal recruiter. Isn’t this similar?

nealric

Re: Anyone have success cold-emailing recruiting for lateral job?

Post by nealric » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Don't email recruiting. They will just throw things in a file unless a partner asks. You want to talk to the department head of the section you are looking to join. If you know anybody at the firm, work through them. A good place to start is informational interviews. Cold emails directly asking for a job are rarely fruitful.

Anonymous User

Re: Anyone have success cold-emailing recruiting for lateral job?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:07 pm

nealric wrote:Don't email recruiting. They will just throw things in a file unless a partner asks. You want to talk to the department head of the section you are looking to join. If you know anybody at the firm, work through them. A good place to start is informational interviews. Cold emails directly asking for a job are rarely fruitful.
Thanks for this. Should’ve probably done informational interviews a while ago. I’m deciding on a few offers and would prefer the firm that didn’t have a posting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”