Do firms take taxes out of moving reimbursement? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do firms take taxes out of moving reimbursement?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:57 am

Just got my moving expense reimbursement and it was less than what I submitted... do they take taxes out? Wanted to check here before I go back to them...

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Re: Do firms take taxes out of moving reimbursement?

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got my moving expense reimbursement and it was less than what I submitted... do they take taxes out? Wanted to check here before I go back to them...
Blame Trump, and check out the new tax law.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:38 pm

If they're deducting taxes, you should have it detailed on a pay slip and included on your w-2. Then, if you meet the irs requirements, you can claim a deduction.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:27 pm

albanach wrote:If they're deducting taxes, you should have it detailed on a pay slip and included on your w-2. Then, if you meet the irs requirements, you can claim a deduction.
You should also check out the new tax law. Deduction for moving expenses is gone.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got my moving expense reimbursement and it was less than what I submitted... do they take taxes out? Wanted to check here before I go back to them...
No direct experience, but I've heard from a few people this year that yes, moving reimbursements are taxed as income and subject to normal withholding.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
No direct experience, but I've heard from a few people this year that yes, moving reimbursements are taxed as income and subject to normal withholding.
If the firm paid for the moving expenses directly would this remedy the issue?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:30 pm

worklifewhat wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
No. You're taxed the same whether the firm gives you the money or hands the money directly to the moving company. Otherwise people would be able to avoid paying income tax by having their companies pay their rent, car, gas, etc. for them in lieu of receiving cash salary.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:53 pm

QContinuum wrote:
worklifewhat wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
No. You're taxed the same whether the firm gives you the money or hands the money directly to the moving company. Otherwise people would be able to avoid paying income tax by having their companies pay their rent, car, gas, etc. for them in lieu of receiving cash salary.
Given how many games can be played with taxes, you just never know (I’m looking at you back door Roth).

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:46 am

BmoreOrLess wrote:
albanach wrote:If they're deducting taxes, you should have it detailed on a pay slip and included on your w-2. Then, if you meet the irs requirements, you can claim a deduction.
You should also check out the new tax law. Deduction for moving expenses is gone.
Unless you're JAG.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”