Top Miami transactional gig (M&A / Cap Mkts) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top Miami transactional gig (M&A / Cap Mkts)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:28 am

I haven’t seen anything on this specific question re: top M&A or capital markets gig in Miami. Per Chambers, apparently there is no capital markets in Miami and M&A (PE) is limited. Any insights? Would also appreciate info on payscale/comp. thx

Anonymous User

Re: Top Miami transactional gig (M&A / Cap Mkts)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I haven’t seen anything on this specific question re: top M&A or capital markets gig in Miami. Per Chambers, apparently there is no capital markets in Miami and M&A (PE) is limited. Any insights? Would also appreciate info on payscale/comp. thx
White & Case has a small Brazil capital markets team.

McDermott and H&K do PE M&A. GT does PE out of Lauderdale.

GT and H&K do LatAm M&A (GT is probably better). You can also find some public M&A at these two, but generally limited in Miami.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:53 am

I think most deal work in Miami is done by 4 firms, in this order:

White & Case
GT
Holland & Knight
Akerman

I don’t think any are focused on PE or Cap Markets, though.

McDermott has a growing practice, and I think it does a fair amount of PE work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I haven’t seen anything on this specific question re: top M&A or capital markets gig in Miami. Per Chambers, apparently there is no capital markets in Miami and M&A (PE) is limited. Any insights? Would also appreciate info on payscale/comp. thx

GT and H&K do LatAm M&A (GT is probably better). You can also find some public M&A at these two, but generally limited in Miami.
Thanks. Of those, it seems McDermott is the only one paying market salaries and bonuses (albeit I’ve heard they try hard to avoid giving bonuses).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. Of those, it seems McDermott is the only one paying market salaries and bonuses (albeit I’ve heard they try hard to avoid giving bonuses).
True, but I wouldn’t choose a firm in Miami based on who pays market and who doesn’t. White and Case is the best firm. Don’t turn it down just because you get an offer from a firm that pays market

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

True, but I wouldn’t choose a firm in Miami based on who pays market and who doesn’t. White and Case is the best firm. Don’t turn it down just because you get an offer from a firm that pays market
I really don't understand the buzz around White & Case Miami. Yes, it's a great firm with comparatively decent pay and sophisticated work, but the transactional side is limited to project finance and a niche capital markets practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:20 pm

what are the exits opps like for a fifth year out of these firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what are the exits opps like for a fifth year out of these firms?
Real examples:

In house at hospital.

In house at start up corp.

Really, most Miami corp work is mid market and you're most likely as a junior/mid-level to get client exposure on those mid-market deals. Don't plan on existing to anything more profitable in traditional salary, benfits, etc. Likely in house with mid-market corps (often Florida based) that are large enough to have small (3-7) legal departments. Some exceptions of course. Will get head hunter stuff for other markets and lateral gigs. Cheers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”