Chance me - older attorney Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bigcityattorney

New

Chance me - older attorney

Post by bigcityattorney » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:28 pm

Dear All,

I would like to know what to expect because I have to find another job next year, as my spouse will be taking her dream job in a mid-sized fly-over city (think Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, or Charlotte, North Carolina).

I am a C.P.A., and received an MBA from a top 20 biz school, but I went to a third-tier law school and got below average grades. I managed to do a Bankruptcy Court clerkship in the middle of nowhere and then I became a "career associate" at a small firm doing commercial litigation and white-collar criminal defense. I have been lead counsel in a dozen + federal trials and lead counsel in a dozen + federal appellate oral arguments.

I will be licensed in federal court in my new city, but not in state court. I am approx. 40 y.o. and I am open to non-legal positions as well.

Any comments (even mean-spirited ones) would be appreciated.

hangtime813

Bronze

Re: Chance me - older attorney

Post by hangtime813 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:04 pm

I think you have a solid shot at maintaining the status quo if you want to continue doing what you are doing at a new firm. If you want to continue to practice in state court you will have to take that state's bar though. . . which is a hassle. Just apply now to openings

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Yo should be fine. Depending on which city, you may be able to get a non-partner track attorney (like a career associate) position at a large firm. Some of the flyover cities to mentioned are growing rapidly and probably will take people they wouldn’t normally consider.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:18 pm

At this point in your career, your law school rank/grades are less relevant. You have good, valuable experience as a litigator. You should get an associate position at a small to mid-sized firm with a bit of hustle. Look for good recruiters in your area, search firms, network with partners you might have some sort of connection with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:21 pm

2013 wrote:Yo should be fine. Depending on which city, you may be able to get a non-partner track attorney (like a career associate) position at a large firm. Some of the flyover cities to mentioned are growing rapidly and probably will take people they wouldn’t normally consider.
Some large firms with neglected satellite offices supplement their attorney ranks with laterals hired into Of-Counsel positions - it's certainly a possibility with your experience if that's a path you're interested in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”