Do I have a shot at being ausa in NDCA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do I have a shot at being ausa in NDCA?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:21 am

T20 grad. 2015 grad. Top 1/3. DC big law, 2 years. Currently an ADA in mid size city (e.g, Portland, austin, Denver). Starting a district ct. clerkship in NDCA in 2019. Plan is to try for AUSA after clerkship but willing to go back to a SF firm for a bit if it improves my odds.

Goal is SF office of NDCA Usao.

Anonymous User

Re: Do I have a shot at being ausa in NDCA?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:36 am

Of course you'll have a shot. You'll be seen as committed to public service (ADA experience) and have the ability to write (b/c of biglaw/clerkship).

With that said, there will be a lot of candidates with backgrounds similar to yours or even with federal prosecution experience. (Not to mention candidates with sterling credentials from firms, and candidates who are somehow connected to important people in the office.) And there's a lot of arbitrariness in the interview process. So while your chances are as good as almost anyone else's, it's still hard to tell what will happen.

For reference, I've been an AUSA in a relatively competitive district for about 3 years and am part of the hiring process here. I also have very competent colleagues with good credentials who have applied to be AUSAs in other competitive districts, with mixed results.

Anonymous User

Re: Do I have a shot at being ausa in NDCA?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Of course you'll have a shot. You'll be seen as committed to public service (ADA experience) and have the ability to write (b/c of biglaw/clerkship).

With that said, there will be a lot of candidates with backgrounds similar to yours or even with federal prosecution experience. (Not to mention candidates with sterling credentials from firms, and candidates who are somehow connected to important people in the office.) And there's a lot of arbitrariness in the interview process. So while your chances are as good as almost anyone else's, it's still hard to tell what will happen.

For reference, I've been an AUSA in a relatively competitive district for about 3 years and am part of the hiring process here. I also have very competent colleagues with good credentials who have applied to be AUSAs in other competitive districts, with mixed results.
Thx for your input. I’m mostly concerned that I didn’t go to a T14 and don’t have stellar grades. Also my big law firm isn’t vault20 or anything (not even vault100).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”