How To Not Get Screwed By BigLaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
blkhk

New

How To Not Get Screwed By BigLaw

Post by blkhk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:52 pm

I'm working under the assumption that sooner or later, BigLaw will screw me over. How do I make sure that regardless of what the firm does to me, I'm in a good position to move on? Specifically, what do I need to do as a junior associate to make sure that I'll have exit options? I'm leaning towards litigation, and I know that obviously the more skills I develop (taking depositions, writing substantial portions of briefs etc.) the better. But are there certain things that are crucial to develop in the early years, and ways to make sure that I get opportunities to do so?

I'm also curious as to how to network moving forward as a 2L. I currently have an SA offer I intend to accept, and will not be looking for another job in the near future. But I'm also wary about the possibility of getting no-/cold-offered as well as something happening to the firm as a general matter (not because my firm has a history of no-offering SAs or is rumored to have shaky financials - far from it - but because I need to have a contingency plan so I can stop poring over tea leaves). How do I cultivate a strong network that can help me out if I come upon hard times in the future? Who should I be talking to (professors? partners at SA firm? partners at other firms?), and what should I talk to them about? In addition, how do you follow up with the people you network with to keep the relationship current?

ClubberLang

Bronze

Re: How To Not Get Screwed By BigLaw

Post by ClubberLang » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:34 pm

An important skill to learn is how to be concise in your writing and your speech. Your post is absurd - you've asked like 10 different questions and there is no way anybody who knows is going to take the time to respond fulsomely.

So, for some bite sized advice, consider how you can be helpful to the firm, and focus on doing that. The more helpful you are, the more opportunities you'll have to do interesting stuff, and the more people will want to work with you.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:37 pm

ClubberLang wrote:An important skill to learn is how to be concise in your writing and your speech. Your post is absurd - you've asked like 10 different questions and there is no way anybody who knows is going to take the time to respond fulsomely.

So, for some bite sized advice, consider how you can be helpful to the firm, and focus on doing that. The more helpful you are, the more opportunities you'll have to do interesting stuff, and the more people will want to work with you.
You could have just said, "I don't know; I'm afraid too."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:49 pm

First of all, ignore the substance of ClubberLang's post your writing is fine and your questions makes perfect sense. The fact that you're thinking of this puts you ahead of others. However, do not ignore ClubberLang's vitriol. This is the kind of person you'll sometimes be working with in biglaw. Assholes. They won't be as overt. They'll be passive aggressive. But that's what's going on in their heads. The quality of human being in biglaw can be as low as it will get. Very toxic, money-grubbing, untrustworthy, opportunistic low-life type people. Expect it and don't let it affect you. I'm sorry I'll stop now this is getting depressing. Perhaps I could have phrased this better just writing this quickly.

Second, see this site? https://www.goinhouse.com/ Look at the jobs in your city carefully. Read the qualifications they want. Do whatever you can to get those on your resume. Also do whatever you can to accumulate references in biglaw. This will make your eventual exit much easier. You know that selling line "always be closing?" Well you should always be thinking about where you'll be after biglaw. Every project is something for your resume, a reference, . . .

Third, do not waste your salary on a fancy apartment and all that (unless you come from independent wealth or something). Pretend you make $40,000. One other myth about biglaw is that you make a lot. Trust me, you don't. They suck much more out of you than they give you and if you're going to be busting your ass billing 2,000 hours plus, you don't want to waste your income on some dumb $4,000 a month apartment (again, unless you're independently wealthy).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:26 am

Here's some advice as a biglaw senior associate who is looking to exit gracefully in a few months (i.e. not getting pushed out).

The best thing you can do is survive at least 3 years, which is pretty easy to do if you are willing to work long, unpredictable hours and put up with the occasional partner or senior associate meltdown and the more frequent aggravations of working in biglaw (avoidable firedrills, inefficient/unclear assignments, unnecessary weekend work, no training). If you are in lit, taking a 1 year break to clerk as a second or third year is huge for your mental (and physical) health. The firm will probably support it and you miss out on a lot of the junior associate scut work.

I did not find networking (by this I mean cold-calling random people to invite them out for coffee or going to bar events/conferences) useful until I had an idea of what I wanted to do (like not only "litigation" but a specific type of litigation, at a specific type of firm) and enough experience to talk confidently with other experienced lawyers about why I wanted to do it, which only came to me when I was years into my career. If you don't have a clear understanding of what you want to do, the best way to network is to do good work for people. Consider taking a PT job or internship while in law school with an organization that touches on some of the same stuff biglaw tends to do (smaller firm or regulator) which will help you build connections down the line. Even a professor who might focus on corporate, bankruptcy, or IP law. And make a sustained effort to keep in touch with people. Grab lunch every six months or so with folks who you have a good relationship with. This includes law school classmates, other SA's, people you worked with at the firm, etc. The legal profession is really small and clubby and you should start building the foundation of your network now.

Once you do excellent work for people and get a good rep, then they will actually help you move on to something other than biglaw, although you probably won't find much help if you are looking to jump to another firm, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:20 am

ClubberLang wrote:An important skill to learn is how to be concise in your writing and your speech. Your post is absurd - you've asked like 10 different questions and there is no way anybody who knows is going to take the time to respond fulsomely.

Yeah. Besides being concise, I would also add don’t be an ass.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”