Help Me Decide - Thompson&Knight/V&E/Winston&Strawn Dallas Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm should I go to?

TK Dallas
40%
VE Dallas
48%
Winston Dallas
12%

Total votes: 25

Anonymous User

Help Me Decide - Thompson&Knight/V&E/Winston&Strawn Dallas

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:52 pm

Looking to split corporate and litigation work this summer (but have a feeling I'll prefer corporate work) and have narrowed it down to TK, VE and Winston & Strawn in Dallas.

Considerations:
-Have no interest in moving out of Dallas
-Would like to be somewhere I have a shot of making partner
-I want to work hard but ideally not in a sweatshop (does that even exist anymore?)

I liked the people best at TK, so my primary reservation is whether I would be making a mistake by going with a more "regional" firm. Will that hurt my exit ops in Dallas if I don't end up wanting to (or being able to) make partner?

My reservation for V&E is that I hear the Dallas office is a satellite with no power and that it is virtually impossible to make partner there. I really liked the people I met there, though.

My reservation at Winston & Strawn is that it seems very litigation focused and has less corporate work than VE or TK.

Anonymous User

Re: Help Me Decide - Thompson&Knight/V&E/Winston&Strawn Dallas

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:54 pm

V&E is the clear choice

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:V&E is the clear choice
How so? Is my impression off? They certainly don't seem to make many partners in Dallas, and I've heard from several people in town who worked there or who have friends there (or friends who have left) that say it is common for someone to get great reviews the entire time and then not get put up for partner because someone from Houston was more connected to the decision makers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:59 pm

I would vote TK. The other two firms are great places, but you are correct re Winston & Strawn being lit focused. Sure, TK's name won't carry you as far on the coasts, but if you want to stay in Dallas, you'll be fine, and from what I hear, the culture is better there than at VE.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Thompson & Knight.

I have only heard horror stories about V&E Dallas culture and partnership prospects. The Houston office is where you wanna be if you’re at V&E.

Winston is way too lit heavy if you aren’t all in for lit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:22 pm

The main thing going for Winston in this context is its strong lit practice and the fact that it is a national firm with 100% offer rates. VE and T&K both no offer 1-2 folks a year. But Winston isn't great for corp. If choosing between VE and TK - and you are completely sure that you want to stay in Dallas - I would lean TK. Heard great things about their culture + VE Dallas is too much of a satellite for VE Houston, esp for corp.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:53 pm

TK. Sounds like your mind is made up already anyway. Is your only hesitation really just quality of exit ops in Dallas? If so, this is a no-brainer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:44 pm

I would avoid V&E Dallas just like I would avoid Baker Botts Houston - the culture there is notoriously rough (not necessarily the associates but the partners).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”