Philly Biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Philly Biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:47 pm

I'm a 3rd year at an NYC lockstep firm. For multiple reasons, my spouse and I are considering a move to the Philadelphia area. How is the Biglaw market in Philly? Who are some of the biggest players in the market, and what are midlevel salaries like? I'm assuming firms pay less than NYC market, but just how much less are we talking? Any other insight on the market would be helpful!

Anonymous User

Re: Philly Biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:43 pm

bump.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Dechert and MLB are the top of the market and both are on the 190 scale, I believe.

Then there is a grouping of firms that are still good options: Duane Morris, Blank Rome, Ballard Spahr, Drinker Biddle.

Then there are satellites of larger firms (JD and Reed Smith, K&L etc.).

I’d aim for one of the ones I mentioned, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dechert and MLB are the top of the market and both are on the 190 scale, I believe.

Then there is a grouping of firms that are still good options: Duane Morris, Blank Rome, Ballard Spahr, Drinker Biddle.

Thanks for your reply. Are Dechert and MLB on the 190 scale all the way up through senior ranks? Or do they just start at 190 and then the scale is compressed from there?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dechert and MLB are the top of the market and both are on the 190 scale, I believe.

Thanks for your reply. Are Dechert and MLB on the 190 scale all the way up through senior ranks? Or do they just start at 190 and then the scale is compressed from there?
Dechert is definitely on the full 190-340 scale. Bonuses will be smaller though. But the cost of living in philly is lower. However, I haven’t heard the greatest things about dechert.

I believe MLB did one of those weird “if you are on track to meet hours, you get a raise” things. So it is less clear. However, I’ve heard great things about the philly office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:26 pm

Interviewed with Drinker Biddle during OCI (got to callback stage) - they've got a great culture there. They certainly work hard but you can tell it's a more laid back mid-market vibe there. If you want to get partner there I feel like it's a real possibility there - they've got the criteria and "levels system" all laid out (although, to be fair, it's all subjective). All in all they've got a lot of homegrown partners over there and seemed like great people so I just thought I'd share.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:27 pm

Thanks! Very helpful!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:54 pm

Avoid Pepper Hamilton like the plague. They are not doing well financially. Bonuses are a mythical thing and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below market. The partners fight, there is little training and management is poor. There are few midlevels because everyone is smart enough to leave by then.
Really. Go anywhere else. You've been warned.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Dechert is definitely on the full 190-340 scale. Bonuses will be smaller though. But the cost of living in philly is lower. However, I haven’t heard the greatest things about dechert.

I believe MLB did one of those weird “if you are on track to meet hours, you get a raise” things. So it is less clear. However, I’ve heard great things about the philly office.
Morgan Lewis is on the 190 scale through senior ranks. No compression.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:04 am

You're thinking of Pittsburgh. Only Reed Smith has a philly office

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed with Drinker Biddle during OCI (got to callback stage) - they've got a great culture there. They certainly work hard but you can tell it's a more laid back mid-market vibe there. If you want to get partner there I feel like it's a real possibility there - they've got the criteria and "levels system" all laid out (although, to be fair, it's all subjective). All in all they've got a lot of homegrown partners over there and seemed like great people so I just thought I'd share.
Any idea if Drinker has extended dings/offers?!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Dechert Philly bonuses are nyc market. 1950 hours minimum.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed with Drinker Biddle during OCI (got to callback stage) - they've got a great culture there. They certainly work hard but you can tell it's a more laid back mid-market vibe there. If you want to get partner there I feel like it's a real possibility there - they've got the criteria and "levels system" all laid out (although, to be fair, it's all subjective). All in all they've got a lot of homegrown partners over there and seemed like great people so I just thought I'd share.
Anon that interviewed with Drinker. They dinged me last Friday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How long did it take to hear back? I interviewed recently and was looking for a time frame, have a few other offers but don't want to decide without hearing from them

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How long did it take to hear back? I interviewed recently and was looking for a time frame, have a few other offers but don't want to decide without hearing from them
I'm also curious. I had a callback with them about a week ago and haven't heard back yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:22 pm

sounds like they're moving pretty slow then, just waiting this long while everyone at major markets has offers is annoying.

While we're on the subject, anyone hear anything from Blank Rome? I had a CB with them weeks ago and it has been radio silence.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:sounds like they're moving pretty slow then, just waiting this long while everyone at major markets has offers is annoying.

While we're on the subject, anyone hear anything from Blank Rome? I had a CB with them weeks ago and it has been radio silence.
I know people who got offers from there, but there may still be more coming

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Bump for if anyone has heard from Drinker yet. This is driving me crazy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Morgan Lewis is on the 190 scale through senior ranks. No compression.
But they did refuse to give raises to certain associates that were below hours targets (many of which are first years, who got screwed because ML has a fiscal year that ends September 30, so first years come in October 1 and usually take awhile to get ramped up, so hitting hours as a first year is very tough). So yes, they are still fairly cheap but try to appear market.

Also, the way the above works out in practice, is that these first years not getting raises stay back on 180 scale, so 1 month from now when they are 2nd years, they'll still be paid 180, while incoming first years with a total of 2 days of law firm experience will be paid 190.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump for if anyone has heard from Drinker yet. This is driving me crazy
Drinker has made at least some offers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”