Got an offer in a niche area...transportation finance Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Got an offer in a niche area...transportation finance

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Got a Biglaw SA offer in NY but only to join a niche group...transportation finance, specifically buying/selling/leasing/representing in general aviation groups. Anyone have insight in groups like this? Looks interesting, you get to deal with tangible assets, I'm assuming exit options are aircraft leasing companies, airliners, and manufacturer like Boeing.

Having trouble finding general information online...anyone here have experience or know anything about the area?

killingmesoftly

New

Re: Got an offer in a niche area...transportation finance

Post by killingmesoftly » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Not sure if helpful but I know someone who does aviation law...know very little about their day to day but they do seem to generate a good amount of business for their firm and do well. They also seem happy with their practice area.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:54 pm

This has to be Vedder Price right? This is like.. all they do. I've heard they're a tough tough place to work but they are a solid firm with solid exit options so it's all in all a good situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:This has to be Vedder Price right? This is like.. all they do. I've heard they're a tough tough place to work but they are a solid firm with solid exit options so it's all in all a good situation.
If OP's offer is indeed from Vedder, which seems likely given how they've described it, the underlined portion above is, sadly, very accurate. Can't really speak to the second part.

The practice is truly international in scope. While that may seem like a selling point on its face, what it really means is that you are juggling multiple time zones at all times. Calls are scheduled at the times most convenient for everyone who is not an attorney. Closings happen at all hours of the day depending on where the asset is around the world. The hours are often brutally long, and because the financiers, lessors, and airlines are situated all over, the attorneys are the ones who are expected to stay up into the wee hours of the night/morning and handle everything that comes up prior to closing. Yes, you're handling tangible assets, but the thrill of doing so quickly loses its luster.

The worst part is that you'd currently be doing all of the above at a below-market salary. There are some rumors circling that VP will finally be matching the new market scale up to a certain class year, but nothing confirmed yet.

Finally, a big picture point -- aviation leasing/finance is quite rapidly turning into a commoditized market. This is not an industry that seems likely to grow (from a legal perspective) in the future. This warrants serious consideration as you look to already jump into a niche practice area from the jump.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This has to be Vedder Price right? This is like.. all they do. I've heard they're a tough tough place to work but they are a solid firm with solid exit options so it's all in all a good situation.
If OP's offer is indeed from Vedder, which seems likely given how they've described it, the underlined portion above is, sadly, very accurate. Can't really speak to the second part.

The practice is truly international in scope. While that may seem like a selling point on its face, what it really means is that you are juggling multiple time zones at all times. Calls are scheduled at the times most convenient for everyone who is not an attorney. Closings happen at all hours of the day depending on where the asset is around the world. The hours are often brutally long, and because the financiers, lessors, and airlines are situated all over, the attorneys are the ones who are expected to stay up into the wee hours of the night/morning and handle everything that comes up prior to closing. Yes, you're handling tangible assets, but the thrill of doing so quickly loses its luster.

The worst part is that you'd currently be doing all of the above at a below-market salary. There are some rumors circling that VP will finally be matching the new market scale up to a certain class year, but nothing confirmed yet.

Finally, a big picture point -- aviation leasing/finance is quite rapidly turning into a commoditized market. This is not an industry that seems likely to grow (from a legal perspective) in the future. This warrants serious consideration as you look to already jump into a niche practice area from the jump.
Thanks for the advice, I have some time to think on it. Firm is actually not Vedder and I'd be paid at market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Riever

New

Post by Riever » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:28 am

Seconded what anon. above said re hours/international scope. I have around one year’s experience in this practice area, albeit in Europe. Great experience from a soft-skills perspective (drafting, negotiating, client care, liasing with local counsel), which is possible because the matters are capable of being broken down into relatively small “chunks” that can be run by a junior lawyer, since there’s a load of small-scale asset specific agreements (e.g. security agreements, warranty documents, registration paperwork, duplicated for each individual asset) that need handling. That’s also the down side: there’s so much paperwork and a lot of it is repetitive but requires careful review, often on short timeframes.

thebasedgod

New

Post by thebasedgod » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:51 pm

OP, do you mind PMing me which firm? I’m interested.

beeoBoop

New

Post by beeoBoop » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:55 am

Hate to Necro a threat that's 6-8 months old but can someone expand on this "tough place to work" thing for Vedder?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:33 pm

beeoBoop wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:55 am
Hate to Necro a threat that's 6-8 months old but can someone expand on this "tough place to work" thing for Vedder?
bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:56 pm

I'd be curious as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:50 pm

Would anyone be able to please share additional insight into what transportation finance work looks like?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”