SF-86 background check for AUSA, disclosing alcohol incident Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: SF-86 background check for AUSA, disclosing alcohol incident

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So the OARM or whichever agency is assigned does the investigation, compiles the report, and send it to DC for adjudication. Big Justice makes the final call, IIRC. I'd call OARM and ask for more information. You must remember that there's a difference between screening for suitability and for the clearance. The clearance is often adjudicated and any issues mitigated or argued in a hearing, but just because you have the clearance doesn't mean you're suitable. The OARM isn't the agency that will decide if you're in the clear.
Well, not to hijack, but since you know the process here apparently, mine has gone as follows: SF86 to USAO, approval, submission, conduct letter from OARM stating that I had been arrested years ago and have disclosed it all and they are still considering me, personal interview, former employers interviews and personnel file review...waiting. What processes are next? I had a lot of faith that I'd be okay after the USAO approval and OARM letter, but, sounds like maybe/probably not? Edit: also just trying to figure out what next stages are/how many more people have to be convinced.(I thought my offer letter says final offer comes from OARM...guessing that is just for intial 14? Is that "suitability" and then post-start is "clearance" from ___?)
Bumping just trying to get this knowledgeable party back.
Last time before abandoning all hope.
What else do you need to know? Sorry have been busy
No problem. Just as it says, basically: 1) were the front office approval and OARM letter of conduct not as great of signs as I thought? And 2) where does it go from here?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So the OARM or whichever agency is assigned does the investigation, compiles the report, and send it to DC for adjudication. Big Justice makes the final call, IIRC. I'd call OARM and ask for more information. You must remember that there's a difference between screening for suitability and for the clearance. The clearance is often adjudicated and any issues mitigated or argued in a hearing, but just because you have the clearance doesn't mean you're suitable. The OARM isn't the agency that will decide if you're in the clear.
Well, not to hijack, but since you know the process here apparently, mine has gone as follows: SF86 to USAO, approval, submission, conduct letter from OARM stating that I had been arrested years ago and have disclosed it all and they are still considering me, personal interview, former employers interviews and personnel file review...waiting. What processes are next? I had a lot of faith that I'd be okay after the USAO approval and OARM letter, but, sounds like maybe/probably not? Edit: also just trying to figure out what next stages are/how many more people have to be convinced.(I thought my offer letter says final offer comes from OARM...guessing that is just for intial 14? Is that "suitability" and then post-start is "clearance" from ___?)
Bumping just trying to get this knowledgeable party back.
Last time before abandoning all hope.
What else do you need to know? Sorry have been busy
No problem. Just as it says, basically: 1) were the front office approval and OARM letter of conduct not as great of signs as I thought? And 2) where does it go from here?
So I've heard of some clearances having a letter you sign stating that whatever you did was an isolated incident, won't happen again, termination if it re-occurs, etc. Not sure what the specifics of your OARM letter are, but be open to that if you haven't received one yet. I wouldn't give TOO much merit to front desk approval, but it helps that nothing negative immediately came out to them, which would be reason for the USAO office employee to escalate the situation among the chain of command and move towards terminating your offer or something. I think it's probably in the hands of Main Justice right now, and they have their own internal process for determining granting a clearance/suitability. It will be reviewed back there and probably kicked back down to your district office, either favorably or unfavorably (leaning towards favorably IMO). It takes quite some time; I had no negative marks on my SF but they still took their sweet time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Thanks. This is helpful and appreciate the return. How long did yours or have you seen others take post-personal interview (FWIW, I also know they have interviewed at least two former employees and colleagues as well, haven’t heard of personal references and wasn’t sure if that was during the 14 month initial post or before). I know there’s absolutely no general timeline. Just trying to figure out how many months I’ll be at this temporary job

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. This is helpful and appreciate the return. How long did yours or have you seen others take post-personal interview (FWIW, I also know they have interviewed at least two former employees and colleagues as well, haven’t heard of personal references and wasn’t sure if that was during the 14 month initial post or before). I know there’s absolutely no general timeline. Just trying to figure out how many months I’ll be at this temporary job
The whole pipeline was pretty quick for me, but it depends on the current workload and whatever logistic hurdles might be on hand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. This is helpful and appreciate the return. How long did yours or have you seen others take post-personal interview (FWIW, I also know they have interviewed at least two former employees and colleagues as well, haven’t heard of personal references and wasn’t sure if that was during the 14 month initial post or before). I know there’s absolutely no general timeline. Just trying to figure out how many months I’ll be at this temporary job
The whole pipeline was pretty quick for me, but it depends on the current workload and whatever logistic hurdles might be on hand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

valleyrat

New

Post by valleyrat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:44 am

killyhevlin wrote:Received an AUSA offer today and looked at the SF-86. I will need to disclose on my SF-86 that I resigned from a prior legal job two years ago because I showed up drunk to a mediation. My boss had been criticizing me for being a wussy and too soft-spoken during prior mediations and so I thought if I had a couple of beers it would loosen me up. Unfortunately I can't really handle my liquor well and it was clear when I attended the mediation (with my boss) that I was drunk. The next day my boss demanded an explanation and I resigned immediately. I found another job right away and there have been no further incidents.

Am I almost certainly going to be denied clearance for an AUSA position? I'd have start the job while the background check proceeds, and so I would need to move across the country for a job, and potentially be fired/have to resign if my clearance is denied.
How much time passed between interview, offer, and start date?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”