Cravath vs. S&C vs. DPW vs. PW (Corporate) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cravath vs. S&C vs. DPW vs. PW (Corporate)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:39 pm

I'm interested in corporate work broadly, probably public M&A or private equity. Wondering about the culture of each of these firms. Leaning towards DPW based on personality fit - seems like people are happier, better work-life balance, and decent M&A and private equity work but not sure if the reputation might be misleading.

Anonymous User

Re: Cravath vs. S&C vs. DPW vs. PW (Corporate)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:52 pm

The only one of these firms that does significant PE work (as a proportion of hours), is PW. Cravath, S&C, and to a lesser extent DPW, are public M&A shops. PW used to be driven by Apollo work, and that is still a big client, but Scott Barshay has been bringing in public deals lately. It is almost laughable to consider work life balance as part of this equation - all of these firms are going to work you 24/7.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The only one of these firms that does significant PE work (as a proportion of hours), is PW. Cravath, S&C, and to a lesser extent DPW, are public M&A shops. PW used to be driven by Apollo work, and that is still a big client, but Scott Barshay has been bringing in public deals lately. It is almost laughable to consider work life balance as part of this equation - all of these firms are going to work you 24/7.
From what I've heard and my experience in DPW, you'll have a better work life balance at DPW than S&C (by a bit) and Cravath (I think by a good amount.) No idea about PW.

Also take my comment with a grain of salt because my experience with DPW has been in litigation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:52 pm

Agree - comparing hours across these firms is laughable. If you’re an above average associate at any of these shops you’ll be worked to the bone. You’re likely to be busier at S&C and CSM in the sense that their premier M&A groups are naturally busier than DPW’s premier capital markets group. But if you’re doing any kind of M&A across these firms don’t choose one over the other because one firm says hours are better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:24 am

I chose Davis Polk for my summer over these choices (no PW, but STB). I think you can succeed and have great exits at any of these firms, but if you liked Davis more, go for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”