Is it worth taking Patent Bar after law school? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Is it worth spending the money/effort in taking the patent bar after law school?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 8

Anonymous User

Is it worth taking Patent Bar after law school?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:39 pm

I graduated law school last year, and I am hoping to move into patent lit, as I do not really enjoy my current practice area.

My question is this: Is it worth spending the money/effort in taking the patent bar after law school? Will it make me much more marketable?

Total cost of investment is ~$2k for PLI, ~$500 for registration, and ~200 hours of prep time.

jhett

Bronze

Re: Is it worth taking Patent Bar after law school?

Post by jhett » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:49 pm

Don’t do it. The patent bar is only for patent prosecution and post grant work. You don’t need it for patent lit.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:35 pm

jhett wrote:Don’t do it. The patent bar is only for patent prosecution and post grant work. You don’t need it for patent lit.
True, you don't need it to litigate, but you can't call yourself a "patent attorney" unless you've passed the patent bar. I know litigators who've taken the patent bar expressly so they can market themselves to clients as a "patent attorney."

In this case, since OP's looking to switch practice areas, taking it may help demonstrate his/her commitment. It may also highlight OP's technical expertise, as many/most attorneys aren't even eligible to take the patent bar.

Finally, I don't think it's necessary to shell out for PLI. I passed with OmniPrep.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:42 pm

I’m a rising 2L so take this with a grain of salt.

I just got an SA at a V50 firm which requires all IP attorneys to take the patent bar. I took it before I went to law school but I want to do lit. Taking th patent bar will allow you to participate in post grant proceedings, which is an increasingly large part of lit. I think taking it is very smart

Most firms will pay For PLI won’t they?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m a rising 2L so take this with a grain of salt.

I just secured an SA at a V50 firm which requires all IP attorneys to take the patent bar. I took it before I went to law school but I want to do lit. Taking th patent bar will allow you to participate in post grant proceedings, which is an increasingly large part of lit. I think taking it is very smarty.

Most firms will pay For PLI won’t they?
OP's looking to switch practice areas, so it's unclear whether s/he'd be able to get reimbursed. But great point about how post-grant is increasingly important in lit. I agree OP should bite the bullet and take the exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatedreality

New

Post by fatedreality » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:12 pm

If you're paying for this out-of-pocket, consider shopping around for cheaper options. I started off with PLI but didn't care for it very much (too much like Barbri - throwing a lot of material at you and not enough practice questions). I ended up switching to Wysebridge (https://www.wysebridge.com) and passed (used it almost exclusively to practice questions - but did spend a week reviewing summaries before hand, which were quite helpful). There are other options as well. But my point is not to just default for PLI, which is crazy expensive and not necessarily the most helpful prep program for this exam.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I graduated law school last year, and I am hoping to move into patent lit, as I do not really enjoy my current practice area.

My question is this: Is it worth spending the money/effort in taking the patent bar after law school? Will it make me much more marketable?

Total cost of investment is ~$2k for PLI, ~$500 for registration, and ~200 hours of prep time.
IPR requires a reg number and that is a big part of lit nowadays. So yes.

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:50 pm

Unless you're a baller trial attorney, take the patent bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”