Moving Expenses Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moving Expenses

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Firm has advised paychecks will be significantly smaller to account for the taxes related to bar/moving expenses that firm pays for directly. Can anyone give an idea of what "significantly smaller" means if usually bi-weekly checks are around $4,300? Just trying to budget accordingly and I have no concept of taxes. TYIA.

kyle010723

Silver

Re: Moving Expenses

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Firm has advised paychecks will be significantly smaller to account for the taxes related to bar/moving expenses that firm pays for directly. Can anyone give an idea of what "significantly smaller" means if usually bi-weekly checks are around $4,300? Just trying to budget accordingly and I have no concept of taxes. TYIA.
Why don't you just ask HR? Also why is moving expenses and bar expenses coming out of your paycheck? Usually the firm pays for it.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:35 pm

This is unusual. Those expenses should be tax deductible.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:43 pm

hoos89 wrote:This is unusual. Those expenses should be tax deductible.
I think tax reform took away that exemption. My firm also warned me about this. Some firms have been grossing up compensation so that associates don't wind up receiving less money on their first paycheck but different firms have been approaching this change differently.
Last edited by dabigchina on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:44 pm

It's my understanding moving expenses are no longer tax deductible under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 unless your military or gov't employee

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/irs/ ... -expenses/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”