How to get partner at firm to help you become ausa Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to get partner at firm to help you become ausa

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 am

I hear a lot of anecdotal evidence about former ausa partners at biglaw firm helping mid level associates to leave the firm and become ausas (assume associate is otherwise qualified and target district is partner’s former district).

Does anybody have experience with this? Intuitively, it seems a little bit odd—you develop a relationship with this partner then then that partner helps you...leave?

Can anybody provide any info about how this subject gets broached, or exactly how this happens?

Anonymous User

Re: How to get partner at firm to help you become ausa

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 am

Its actually easy. A bunch of former AUSAs at my firm wrote me LORs and called people to help me get into the office. First, you get assigned to cases with former AUSAs. I did white collar/investigations, which helped me get to know the AUSAs at my firm. I also did pro-bono CJA (under supervision of a former AUSA) work to get into court and handle real federal district court criminal cases. The only hiccup was because I was doing pro-bono CJA work, I actually had to delay my application to one of the offices to avoid conflict of interest rules. Anyways, I met with each one and told them I'm interested and got their advice. I went back to them when I was about a month away from submitting apps and asked for LORs. Once the apps were sent, I had them follow up after interviews to reiterate that I was a great candidate. They were all happy to help, honestly. The firm, FWIW, also was very gracious when I told them I was leaving for USAO. No hard feelings.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Its actually easy. A bunch of former AUSAs at my firm wrote me LORs and called people to help me get into the office. First, you get assigned to cases with former AUSAs. I did white collar/investigations, which helped me get to know the AUSAs at my firm. I also did pro-bono CJA (under supervision of a former AUSA) work to get into court and handle real federal district court criminal cases. The only hiccup was because I was doing pro-bono CJA work, I actually had to delay my application to one of the offices to avoid conflict of interest rules. Anyways, I met with each one and told them I'm interested and got their advice. I went back to them when I was about a month away from submitting apps and asked for LORs. Once the apps were sent, I had them follow up after interviews to reiterate that I was a great candidate. They were all happy to help, honestly. The firm, FWIW, also was very gracious when I told them I was leaving for USAO. No hard feelings.

Would you mind PMing the firm? (But if you want to keep it private I completely understand)

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Intuitively, it seems a little bit odd—you develop a relationship with this partner then then that partner helps you...leave?
It may seem odd intuitively, but it's not strange at all in practice. There's a very well-established revolving door between firm and AUSA positions. It's not like you'd be going to the competition. Remember, all of those former AUSAs at your firm were, at one point, active AUSAs themselves. They won't begrudge you for wanting to get the same experience under your belt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:48 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Intuitively, it seems a little bit odd—you develop a relationship with this partner then then that partner helps you...leave?
It may seem odd intuitively, but it's not strange at all in practice. There's a very well-established revolving door between firm and AUSA positions. It's not like you'd be going to the competition. Remember, all of those former AUSAs at your firm were, at one point, active AUSAs themselves. They won't begrudge you for wanting to get the same experience under your belt.
OP here. For how long should you have worked with a partner (former ausa) before you broach the subject?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:33 pm

IMO, think of the partner as one of your professors back in college/law school. Would you be comfortable asking this "professor" to be a reference? Does s/he know the quality of your work? If yes, then give it a try! Maybe start out by broaching your interest in pursuing AUSA and see where the conversation goes from there. If the partner reacts positively, then ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”