3L lateraling after accepting offer. Should you? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L lateraling after accepting offer. Should you?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:36 pm

If you summered somewhere, had a good experience, but have heard from old contacts at a different firm that they want you now, even though they didn't want you during their summer associate program, would you hear them out? Would you defect?

In my case, I wanted to go to a particular firm last year, but it didn't want me. No offer. Now it is interested in me. I know why they are talking to me again, my journal comments have gotten the attention of their practice group and they want someone they can market having written stuff on their practice area.

Anyway, I went to another market-paying firm that has less prestige, not a ton less, but the difference is pretty discernible. I like the firm I summered at. I took their offer to join them. Now, the more prestigious firm wants me to come back and talk to them, it's like I'm getting the wine/dine I got from the other firms that actually took me seriously last year.

The two reasons I have weighing in favor of defecting are: (1) my current firm's practice group is much smaller than the more prestigious firm's, and (2) the more prestigious firm is exactly that, a much bigger name that is much more respected among us nerds in this industry.

The cons are: I would hate burning a bridge with colleagues who I now consider my friends, and maybe more importantly, I don't know the people at the more prestigious firm that well, and I know it is a highly competitive environment over there, a way bigger office too. I know the right side of the tracks, the right people to work with, at the firm I took an offer. The new firm is a totally new landscape, can I figure out my bearings and find the right people to work with? No idea.

Not a bad problem to have at all, good news for the most part. But I'm torn. Any suggestions?

Toni V

Bronze

Re: 3L lateraling after accepting offer. Should you?

Post by Toni V » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:10 pm

In a few years when things get real, being at the better firm is a big +.

QContinuum

Re: 3L lateraling after accepting offer. Should you?

Post by QContinuum » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:50 pm

I'm sure this will prove to be an unpopular opinion here, but I'd actually be in favor of not making the leap. Consider:
  • You've already accepted your offer.
  • Rescinding your acceptance will likely rub folks at your current firm the wrong way. Law's a small world.
  • You actually like your current firm.
  • There's a significant chance you may dislike the other firm, especially in light of your concern over their reputation for being competitive.
Seriously consider whether the boost in prestige is worth the risk that you may not like working at the other firm, plus the risk of burning bridges with your current firm.

Best wishes!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”