Transferring between Screeners and Callbacks Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring between Screeners and Callbacks

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Dear TLS:

I am a student at a t2 law schools who recently received a late acceptance to a T10. I have not yet accepted the transfer offer, but I am strongly considering it. Nevertheless, I am forced to participate in my current school's OCI, where I have a significant amount of pre-selects. At the time of these interviews, I will not yet have accepted my offer and will definitely not be participating in the new schools OCI if I do. My question is as follows:

Assuming I do well at the screeners and get callbacks, at the callback stage will the employers look negatively, positively, or be neutral to the fact that I am at a different school than I was at the OCI stage?

Anonymous User

Re: Transferring between Screeners and Callbacks

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:44 pm

I know a couple people who did OCI at their previous schools, got offers, then transferred and told their firm that they transferred. The firms didn't care. Anecdotal, but I think you'll be fine.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dear TLS:

I am a student at a t2 law schools who recently received a late acceptance to a T10. I have not yet accepted the transfer offer, but I am strongly considering it. Nevertheless, I am forced to participate in my current school's OCI, where I have a significant amount of pre-selects. At the time of these interviews, I will not yet have accepted my offer and will definitely not be participating in the new schools OCI if I do. My question is as follows:

Assuming I do well at the screeners and get callbacks, at the callback stage will the employers look negatively, positively, or be neutral to the fact that I am at a different school than I was at the OCI stage?
If you're transferring to a better school, the worst case is no difference, the likely case is that it will give you a slight boost.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:12 am

Thank you for the responses. I reached the same logical conclusion and only can think of 2 ways in which it could hurt me. 1) A partner/associate at the callback stage happens to be an alum of the school from which I transferred out, or 2) Firms that are really set on law review-journal, because due to late acceptance I missed the write-on and will only be able to be on a journal for the 3L year (at my current school am on law review).
Otherwise, seems reasonable that if they were willing to hire me as a T2 student then, if anything, being a T10 student at the callback does seem like a boost.

BOSStongrl

New

Post by BOSStongrl » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you for the responses. I reached the same logical conclusion and only can think of 2 ways in which it could hurt me. 1) A partner/associate at the callback stage happens to be an alum of the school from which I transferred out, or 2) Firms that are really set on law review-journal, because due to late acceptance I missed the write-on and will only be able to be on a journal for the 3L year (at my current school am on law review).
Otherwise, seems reasonable that if they were willing to hire me as a T2 student then, if anything, being a T10 student at the callback does seem like a boost.
if it helps I sort of did something like this- a partner and an alum of my old law school (T3) was helping me with interviews and before I met with him I wanted to be upfront and tell him that i found out that i'll be transferring to GULC. I was terrified he was going to say he wouldn't help me anymore, but he completely understood, and even got me an interview at his biglaw firm- which he couldn't do before I transferred. So definitely don't be worried about that- I think most are really understanding and get why you'd transfer. The partner even said "let's be real, [old law school] is not great"
also definitely don't worry about law review- you'll have your old school's law review on your resume. But otherwise I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”