The Definitive Thread on OH Law Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The Definitive Thread on OH Law Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:55 pm

Late reply but Porter Wright raised associate starting salaries to $145K effective January 1. Mid-level and senior associate salaries aren't transparent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:53 am

Anyone know what comp (along with clerkship bonus) is like at Squire in Cincinnati or Columbus?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:14 pm
Anyone have any Vorys info? Their website redirects to NALP, but I don't see them listed on there. Pay/hours/clerkship bonus or credit (since they seem to suggest as much on their website)?
I know Vorys first years start at $150k and class credit. I’ve also heard rumors of a $25k clerkship bonus, but only from one individual so I don’t know if their situation was unique or if that’s the standard for them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:19 pm

I'm in a major market and looking to relocate to Cincinnati. Just bumping this thread to see if anyone has new intel on the comp for mid-levels/seniors in Cincinnati. It looks like there have been significant moves in the last year--NALP now says Taft first-years start at 165k, and Baker starts at 200k(?!). But not sure if that's right, or how other firms may have moved over the last six months. Anyone know?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:19 pm
I'm in a major market and looking to relocate to Cincinnati. Just bumping this thread to see if anyone has new intel on the comp for mid-levels/seniors in Cincinnati. It looks like there have been significant moves in the last year--NALP now says Taft first-years start at 165k, and Baker starts at 200k(?!). But not sure if that's right, or how other firms may have moved over the last six months. Anyone know?
I’ve heard rumors of a move to $170k. But since it’s Cincinnati, I’m sure it only applies if you went to the popular all boys/girls catholic high school and wear your class ring everywhere you go

Stay away from here

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:19 pm
I’ve heard rumors of a move to $170k. But since it’s Cincinnati, I’m sure it only applies if you went to the popular all boys/girls catholic high school and wear your class ring everywhere you go

Stay away from here
Literally what. I’m a transplant who has been in the legal market in Cincy for two years and besides getting asked the all too common question about where you went to high school, this attitude isn’t pervasive at law firms. I’ve had a great experience with just as many opportunities as born and raised Cincinnatians.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:53 am
Anyone know what comp (along with clerkship bonus) is like at Squire in Cincinnati or Columbus?
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:15 am

Wonder if anyone can weigh in on which Ohio firms have good work-life balance...am a biglaw transactional junior originally from Ohio who doesn't care all that much about pay/prestige. I'd like to move back to a firm that's close to a 9-6 with minimal late nights/evenings, but fear ending up at a place that is 95% of my current work for 60% of my current pay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:15 am
Wonder if anyone can weigh in on which Ohio firms have good work-life balance...am a biglaw transactional junior originally from Ohio who doesn't care all that much about pay/prestige. I'd like to move back to a firm that's close to a 9-6 with minimal late nights/evenings, but fear ending up at a place that is 95% of my current work for 60% of my current pay.
This is going to depend so much on the specific partners you work for. Your best bet is to interview around and ask people in those firms (preferably through mutual connections so they give you actually real info) how those partners are to work for. Because it’s a smaller market, you probably will be only working for a few partners so they really will define your experience. As a general matter, I’d avoid Taft (but they pay the most so your move).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I’ve heard that the regional BigLaw firms in Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland generally have the same hours for far less pay. You can see their billable requirements on NALP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I’ve heard that the regional BigLaw firms in Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland generally have the same hours for far less pay. You can see their billable requirements on NALP
This is for sure not true, at least in Cincinnati, unless you’re at Taft and maybe Dinsmore (and no one there hides the ball about hours). I have friends at Vorys and KMK who have great work/life balance and 1st years start at $150k now. Even the ones who don’t have this “balance” aren’t working 60 hour weeks like their BL counterparts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is for sure not true, at least in Cincinnati, unless you’re at Taft and maybe Dinsmore (and no one there hides the ball about hours). I have friends at Vorys and KMK who have great work/life balance and 1st years start at $150k now. Even the ones who don’t have this “balance” aren’t working 60 hour weeks like their BL counterparts.
And I know people who work at all of those places listed (and all the big places in Cincinnati) who are working the same hours as their BL counterparts. Because $215k > $150k, it’s not worth the trade off. Vorys is a notorious sweatshop. KMK has shrugged that reputation off a bit, but that’s not saying much, considering what they used to be like.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
And I know people who work at all of those places listed (and all the big places in Cincinnati) who are working the same hours as their BL counterparts. Because $215k > $150k, it’s not worth the trade off. Vorys is a notorious sweatshop. KMK has shrugged that reputation off a bit, but that’s not saying much, considering what they used to be like.
This is probably not recent because Vorys young associates tend to have a better life than most (at least the ones I know).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:44 am
Bumping. Sounds like JD just moved to 225k for first years in all offices. Curious if other firms will raise salaries or if new firms will start moving into Ohio. I feel like Intel moving into Columbus might indicate that other big companies will make similar moves in the next few years.
Good question about Intel, but I imagine JD advances won't impact local market particularly, since they are a bit of an outlier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:17 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
Bump/update. It looks like SPB is at 205k in Cincinnati/Columbus. No clue about their clerkship bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:42 pm

Seems like for the Cincinnati firms, market is now $165 (Taft, KMK, Dinsmore), with some firms behind at $150 (Vorys) or even $120 (why is Frost lagging so far behind?).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:42 pm
Seems like for the Cincinnati firms, market is now $165 (Taft, KMK, Dinsmore), with some firms behind at $150 (Vorys) or even $120 (why is Frost lagging so far behind?).
Frost hasn’t been at $120k since 2019. They’re at least at $135k and that was as of 2021.

Vorys will probably jump soon they tend to always match.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RomanRainz

New

Post by RomanRainz » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:10 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
Bump/update. It looks like SPB is at 205k in Cincinnati/Columbus. No clue about their clerkship bonus.
You saying 205k starting? That seems miles ahead of anyone else. Maybe it is and that's just how SPB does business, but as someone moving to the market soon I'm curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:54 am

RomanRainz wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
You saying 205k starting? That seems miles ahead of anyone else. Maybe it is and that's just how SPB does business, but as someone moving to the market soon I'm curious.
Baker is at 200k in its Ohio offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:54 am
RomanRainz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
As shown by the 200k starting, is there any info on what the salary scale looks like there for future years i.e. a 2nd year or 4th year? Have heard it is somewhat black box but I imagine there are general numbers they use.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
RomanRainz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
As shown by the 200k starting, is there any info on what the salary scale looks like there for future years i.e. a 2nd year or 4th year? Have heard it is somewhat black box but I imagine there are general numbers they use.
I’m also curious about this. I’ve heard that Baker salaries fall six figures behind market at the senior level in other major markets. And Baker was pretty below market in all non DC/NYC/HOU (am I forgetting a big one?) major markets about three years ago. I think around 150k in 2020. They hiked pay in their non-major markets when JD did amidst the salary wars but I am really curious to know whether that persists after the first year. AFAIK there are no market firms in Ohio — Jones Day and Baker are both black box. I’m not sure what Squire does but I know they’ve been below market in the past (or were when I was looking).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
RomanRainz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bump
I’m also curious about this. I’ve heard that Baker salaries fall six figures behind market at the senior level in other major markets. And Baker was pretty below market in all non DC/NYC/HOU (am I forgetting a big one?) major markets about three years ago. I think around 150k in 2020. They hiked pay in their non-major markets when JD did amidst the salary wars but I am really curious to know whether that persists after the first year. AFAIK there are no market firms in Ohio — Jones Day and Baker are both black box. I’m not sure what Squire does but I know they’ve been below market in the past (or were when I was looking).
With Squire being below market, are you talking bonuses or class year bumps? Curious what the pay is like for a 3-5 year in Columbus/Cleveland/Cinci

Chokenhauer

New

Post by Chokenhauer » Mon May 15, 2023 7:57 am

Anyone want to talk post-clerkship in Columbus/Cleveland?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:42 pm
Frost hasn’t been at $120k since 2019. They’re at least at $135k and that was as of 2021.

Vorys will probably jump soon they tend to always match.
Any rumors or updates if Vorys will match or have decided not to? Been a few months and no movement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:10 pm

Does anyone have any insight into Vorys corporate WLB/exit options? Similar hours to biglaw or a noticeable step down?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”