Lateral to Higher Ranked Firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral to Higher Ranked Firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi there,

I've been reached out to by a recruiter on direct request by a top partner at a law firm in NYC that is significantly higher ranked than my current law firm. Both are big law firms.

I have wonderful connections at my current firm and my practice team is amazing, but we have yet to announce whether we will get a pay increase. The higher ranked law firm has already announced it.

How worth it is it to see if I could lateral? I'm technically a first year, but I've been getting several recruiter calls because of my practice area. I am afraid of losing connections at my current firm. Anyone have advice on whether law firms look down on you moving to another law firm so quickly? Is the move justifiable for the money alone- knowing that the higher ranked firm may also e a good cultural fit for you even though you will have to do more hours? Should I reach out to them to say I'm interested, but I'm not ready? Can I leverage an offer from another law firm to higher my own salary at my firm, which does not do lock-step salaries?

What are people's experiences here?

azntwice

Bronze

Re: Lateral to Higher Ranked Firm?

Post by azntwice » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:20 pm

Without knowing anything about either firm, it's hard to answer this question. I know many people who have lateraled after a year or so at their firms and as far as I can tell, it hasn't hurt them. I would just make sure you won't have a penalty if you leave your firm so early e.g. paying back bar expenses. I doubt your law firm will match your salary as a first year. No harm in taking some interviews and seeing how you like the other firms before you make a final decision. You may decide you don't like them that much anyway.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”