Rising 2L median grades at a top 30 with decent experience Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SkateboardT

New

Rising 2L median grades at a top 30 with decent experience

Post by SkateboardT » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:25 pm

Hey all,

So I've been mass mailing to firms in major and larger secondary markets. Mailing everywhere but I feel like I'm aiming too high and that there are likely certain firms in those major markets that are less selective or at least less competitive. Top 50% at a top 30, no journal, likely to get moot court though. Did a summer as an undergraduate clerk with a state circuit court judge, year and a half doing environmental/energy policy analysis for an NP, and my 1L summer was at a USAO in the white-collar division in a relatively small Southwest market. School is in the DC market, Chicago area born and raised, family in Los Angeles, but I would be open to any mid-market city such as a Denver or Charlotte.

My question is where? Where should I apply in the major markets (particularly Chicago and DC)? Do any of you know of certain firms in certain areas that,I guess, don't get first dibs on the 2Ls and thus are more likely to settle for less than the academic rock stars? and which secondary markets do you all think are realistic? I'm holding out for DoJ SLIP although I don't know how competitive I'll be with my stats. I really want to litigate, and I feel like I have an above average amount of litigation/courtroom experience at this point, I make sure to stress this stuff in my letters/resume but I want to make sure I'm not wasting time looking at places that I really have no chance in.

I'm trying to temper my expectations while not selling myself short so any insight, anecdotes, advice would seriously calm my nerves about this whole thing lol Thanks!

Dunnkirk85

New

Re: Rising 2L median grades at a top 30 with decent experience

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:39 am

Biglaw is out to be honest, especially in Chicago. At a T30 Chicago firms are going to want at least top 15%. The only way I think you even have a slim chance at a biglaw job would be through a connection. Otherwise, you’ll probably need to wait until later this year or early 2019 to secure a summer job, which isn’t the end of the world. Need to focus on improving your grades the upcoming year if the goal is ever a bigger firm

SkateboardT

New

Re: Rising 2L median grades at a top 30 with decent experience

Post by SkateboardT » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Dunnkirk85 wrote:Biglaw is out to be honest, especially in Chicago. At a T30 Chicago firms are going to want at least top 15%. The only way I think you even have a slim chance at a biglaw job would be through a connection. Otherwise, you’ll probably need to wait until later this year or early 2019 to secure a summer job, which isn’t the end of the world. Need to focus on improving your grades the upcoming year if the goal is ever a bigger firm
Yeah, I'm not focused on biglaw at all. I'm trying to get some guidance regarding anybody who was or knew a person who was in a similar spot that was able to find work in a mid-size/boutique/regional firm. Mainly what the firm was, where it was at, practice areas.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”