Clerk: Go back to old firm? That is the question... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerk: Go back to old firm? That is the question...

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:27 pm

Hello,

I am a junior attorney clerking in a secondary market, which I worked in before and play to stay in post-clerkship. I am posting because I am driving myself nuts trying to figure out what to do after my clerkship. I still have a few months to figure it out. But would love any input.

Long story short: Before clerking, I spent 2 years at the main office of a well-respected regional firm (100+ lawyers at that office) that pays the going market rate here. While there, I formed really strong relationships in my department and received stellar reviews (both in terms of performance and fit), which they noted were unusually positive. In addition to that, I also formed an unusually close relationship a name partner who, while not part of my department, is still quite involved with the firm; in fact, he invited me to a local bar event and introduced me to other lawyers there as the "star associate" and expressed he hopes I come back. Based on that, I felt going back was a no-brainer. Things, however, don't seem as clear-cut as they used to.

After the recent raises (which my old firm and peer firms have not matched) and seeing the insane offers my fellow clerk friends are getting, a part of me wants to cash in at one of the local V20-V30 firms in town (there's a handful of offices) that are looking for clerks. Maybe it's naive, but I feel I would receive better training there given the pedigree of the lawyers at their local offices (a few former scotus and appeals clerks; state appellate judges; etc.) -- although, to be fair, my old firm has also has good lawyers who handle sophisticated cases; they're just not at the same level. Also, in addition to chasing more money and potentially better training, though my old firm has name recognition here, I kind of want to work at a nationally recognized firm. I feel that doing so may pay dividends down then road, especially if I chase an AUSA, circuit clerkship, or whatever-other-selective litigation gig down the road...

As I mentioned, I have a few more months to decide. And I still haven't yet sent out apps anywhere or negotiated with my prior firm regarding their offer (they may be able to pay more given the recent market-raises). But before putting anything in motion, I figure I'd get feedback -- especially from any of you who've been in a similar position before.

Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Re: Clerk: Go back to old firm? That is the question...

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:55 pm

First, don't count your chickens before they hatch so this question is best asked once you get offers from other firms. But to answer your question, sounds like a tough call since you have a good thing going at your old firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:08 pm

Totally agree. But before applying, I want to get general thoughts. One last thing I forgot to mention, hours will likely be a wash. Expected to hit near, or preferably above, 2k at either.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:16 pm

Whatever you do, don’t feel any sense of “allegiance” to your old firm or obligation to return. I did not return to my summer firm after my clerkship, and didn’t sweat it

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:11 pm

I’d apply and check the places out. See what you think. See if you’ll get the same type of responsibility.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:37 pm

Based on what you've said about your "old firm," I don't think the better training bit is likely to be the case. The quality of "training" has less to do with whether your client has gross revenues of $100 billion vs $100 million and more to do with the quality of opportunities you are given. Often smaller firms actually offer better opportunities/training because you receive greater responsibility earlier on than you would at a mega firm (generally speaking). It's okay to want more money, it's okay to think about your future and the doors you might want opened to you...only you can answer those questions. If the prestige is important to you, if the money is important to you, if having the biggest clients is important to you...then you know what you should do. If being respected, appreciated, and feeling like a part of a TEAM is important to you then you are pretty sure to get that with your old firm (based on what you've said) and may or may not get that at one of the other firms you're eyeing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:29 pm

OP here. ^ poster, you’re spot on. And when push comes to shove, i value fit and feeling valued over anything else. So, I think the best approach here may be to negotiate with my old firm to match or come closer to what I know other firms are paying. That way, I wouldn’t be losing anything by going back. And if i later feel that going back was the wrong move, I can lateral out a year later while presumably not burning as many bridges.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”