Help with Practice Area Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help with Practice Area Question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Incoming associate at a biglaw firm. I got an offer for one of the practice groups I worked with last summer, and I accepted it. The associates and partners in the group are great mentors, but my interests have changed. A partner from another practice group that I worked with mentioned some projects that he'd like me to work on when I start.

Would it be ok to do that? Can associates that are slated for one practice group take on work from another?

Anonymous User

Re: Help with Practice Area Question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Incoming associate at a biglaw firm. I got an offer for one of the practice groups I worked with last summer, and I accepted it. The associates and partners in the group are great mentors, but my interests have changed. A partner from another practice group that I worked with mentioned some projects that he'd like me to work on when I start.

Would it be ok to do that? Can associates that are slated for one practice group take on work from another?
This is going to be firm specific. If it’s an IP role then the answer would be “no” at my firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Incoming associate at a biglaw firm. I got an offer for one of the practice groups I worked with last summer, and I accepted it. The associates and partners in the group are great mentors, but my interests have changed. A partner from another practice group that I worked with mentioned some projects that he'd like me to work on when I start.

This is going to be firm specific. If it’s an IP role then the answer would be “no” at my firm.
I figured it would differ from firm to firm. Do you have a sense of what the answer might be if it's between two sub practice groups underneath a larger umbrella group?

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:35 pm

I mean it's going to depend. Construction litigation and commercial litigation? Sure, probably fine. M&A and public bonds? Probably not. Since you're anon and there's little chance your partners read this, maybe just say the groups.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:57 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:I mean it's going to depend. Construction litigation and commercial litigation? Sure, probably fine. M&A and public bonds? Probably not. Since you're anon and there's little chance your partners read this, maybe just say the groups.
Funds and tech transactions. They're entirely different, but I want to do work for both.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”