webcam interviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

webcam interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:08 pm

I had a webcam interview that was a bit awkward because rather than a natural flowing conversation, it felt more like a q&a with awkward silences. For example, when it was time for me to ask my questions in the end, I would ask a question, the interviewer would explain the answer, when he was done explaining he would look at me, I didn't have anything to say back so I would just smile and accept the answer by saying something like "okay, makes sense", then an awkward silence which I try to eliminate by moving on to another question.

Just a very awkward vibe.

But the thing is, I haven't done a lot of interviews in a while, but back when I did, I used to be pretty good at them. So I am wondering ... is this awkwardness due to the fact that it was a webcam? Do webcam interviews tend to be more awkward or affect the flow of conversation? Or .. did I just lose my interviewing skills/social skills? Maybe I used to be good and now I'm not anymore?

it would help to hear from others who have experiences with webcam interviews and whether those interviews were different in terms of the vibe/awkwardness compared to in-person interviews.

I'm basically wondering if the decline in the quality of my interviews is due to the change in medium (in person vs. webcam) or due to a change in me.

worklifewhat

New

Re: webcam interviews

Post by worklifewhat » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:09 pm

Impossible to know. Maybe the interviewers were the awkward one and the answer to your question is neither of the options you presented. I've had a skype interview and I thought it went really well; not awkward at all.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:59 am

I remember when I was in a long-term relationship (mistake) with my ex-girlfriend (also a mistake), we used to talk on skype/webcam before it became as easy it is today. And yeah, it was definitely a bit more awkward than speaking in person. In person, I don't think most people will make eye contact with you the entire conversation, but look around at other things -- pictures on a desk, awards on a wall, coffee mug, etc., or if you're the interviewer, you'll look at your notes or the applicant's resume. It gives the impression of remaining engaged but not staring at the other person. When the other person looks at something, you can at least look at what that person is looking at and so it's a 'shared' gaze experience.

In a webcam conversation, I think it's more noticeable when you look away. Imagine if the interviewer was responding to your question, and you just started looking away. Even if you look slightly down, are you reading a comic book? The interviewer has no idea what you're looking at. He doesn't know if you're looking at a fly on the wall, or a movie in the background, or if you're even still paying attention. So you're both hesitant to look away so as to not appear rude, but you're alternatively just looking at each other, which is strange. Next time you have lunch or a conversation with someone, just look at them and don't avert your gaze and see how awkward it is.

If there's lag on either side, it may make the conversation jarring and awkward as well.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:02 am

I've found it helps me to remain standing during these interviews. It helps me maintain my 'speaker presence.' Doesn't always work, and it may not work for you, but definitely find something that does.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:45 pm

Don't sweat it OP.

Had a webcam interview during OCI process, and it went horrible. Bad connection, they couldn't find my Skype username, sound from their end went into my mic and back so it was looping and shit.

Every candidate is dealing with same issues that you did if they are doing it via webcam

Mobster1983

New

Post by Mobster1983 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 pm

I had one webcam interview recently with a federal agency and it was also awkward, pretty much in the way you described. Several phone interviews went great with no issue, but just seems different when doing video over the web. Mine was with multiple individuals through a web-ex so I just tried to stare at the webcam during the whole thing. Definitely came off as one of my most awkward interviews though. I much prefer just doing it via phone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”