Pro Bono during bar summer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pro Bono during bar summer?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:32 am

I'm currently studying for the bar and looking to get involved with some pro bono work. Are there organizations that could use volunteer hours from recent grads? I'm in a secondary market with plenty of pro bono organizations, i'm just not sure if any would bring on someone for a few weeks to help out.

Bodhicaryavatara

Bronze

Re: Pro Bono during bar summer?

Post by Bodhicaryavatara » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently studying for the bar and looking to get involved with some pro bono work. Are there organizations that could use volunteer hours from recent grads? I'm in a secondary market with plenty of pro bono organizations, i'm just not sure if any would bring on someone for a few weeks to help out.
Focus 100% on studying for the bar until August. Pro bono can wait.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:52 am

Bodhicaryavatara wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently studying for the bar and looking to get involved with some pro bono work. Are there organizations that could use volunteer hours from recent grads? I'm in a secondary market with plenty of pro bono organizations, i'm just not sure if any would bring on someone for a few weeks to help out.
Focus 100% on studying for the bar until August. Pro bono can wait.
This. Seriously, even if you're supremely confident in your ability, imaging failing by a point or two and knowing you did fifty hours of pro bono. It makes no sense. Take a look at any state's passage rate by school and you'll see folk at even the very best schools still failing.

Your desire to do pro bono is admirable, but you'll be of more value when admitted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:52 pm

This is OP, I kind of need a few more hours of pro bono to be admitted to the bar in the state i'm applying to, and i'd rather get it out of the way this summer then have to show up at my Biglaw gig and try to get on a pro bono project immediately. Yes, I know it's low key ridiculous to graduation law school with as few pro bono hours as I have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is OP, I kind of need a few more hours of pro bono to be admitted to the bar in the state i'm applying to, and i'd rather get it out of the way this summer then have to show up at my Biglaw gig and try to get on a pro bono project immediately. Yes, I know it's low key ridiculous to graduation law school with as few pro bono hours as I have.
Really? I didn't realize there was that much of an expectation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bodhicaryavatara

Bronze

Post by Bodhicaryavatara » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is OP, I kind of need a few more hours of pro bono to be admitted to the bar in the state i'm applying to, and i'd rather get it out of the way this summer then have to show up at my Biglaw gig and try to get on a pro bono project immediately. Yes, I know it's low key ridiculous to graduation law school with as few pro bono hours as I have.
Really? I didn't realize there was that much of an expectation.
At my school, you need at least 50 hours to graduate, although many folks end up with a lot more pro bono hours.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:03 pm

1) I'd be astonished if your firm can't get you a bunch of pro-bono hours in your first few weeks.

2) You can volunteer somewhere in the couple of weeks after you take the bar

3) Your firm would rather you be eligible and not admitted for a couple of weeks while you get your pro bono requirement, than wait six months for your February score.

I'm serious - doing it now just isn't worth it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:08 pm

OP here again. Totally understand the bar is the priority, still definitely have 5 hours a week to spare. I know I could get it done at the firm, but i'd rather not come in and immediately request pro bono, seems like that might send the wrong impression. If I just cold email Legal Aid or wherever will they have some hours for me?

Bodhicaryavatara

Bronze

Post by Bodhicaryavatara » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here again. Totally understand the bar is the priority, still definitely have 5 hours a week to spare. I know I could get it done at the firm, but i'd rather not come in and immediately request pro bono, seems like that might send the wrong impression. If I just cold email Legal Aid or wherever will they have some hours for me?
Won't you have a break of a couple of weeks between the July exam and your start date? You could easily get in 50 hours in two weeks or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here again. Totally understand the bar is the priority, still definitely have 5 hours a week to spare. I know I could get it done at the firm, but i'd rather not come in and immediately request pro bono, seems like that might send the wrong impression. If I just cold email Legal Aid or wherever will they have some hours for me?
You know nothing. Unless you've taken a bar before, you don't know if you have time to spare (if you're putting forth a 100% good faith effort to pass).

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:57 pm

I mean, OP can always decide he/she doesn't have time for a few hours of pro bono once he begins studying. Personally, I think it's a great idea so long as you don't make long-term commitments - keep it to one off things you will handle then and there. If you keep it minimal, it will probably be a nice break and even a reminder of what you are working toward.

To answer the question - I would think most cities have regularly scheduled opportunities relating to tax-filing help, land-lord tenant issues, consumer protection for financial issues (debt collection, etc.), and possibly registering for health care. I would google stuff life that for wherever you live.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”