NYC to Chicago Lateral - Illinois Bar Admission Questions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC to Chicago Lateral - Illinois Bar Admission Questions

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2018 12:28 pm

I'm looking to lateral from NYC biglaw to Chicago biglaw (Corporate). I know the reciprocity requirement in Illinois is 3 years of practice in another state in good standing.

My situation: If I move in January, I'll be a 4th year associate (completed 3 years and 3 months of practice at my law firm in NY). However, since I wasn't admitted to the NY bar until 10 months after I started at my firm (started in Sept., admitted in July the following year), I will not have been admitted to the NY bar and practicing for 3 years. I'm at an NYC V5, looking to move to a "Chicago-equivalent" corporate practice. I need some advice from someone who has made this move with this timing (I imagine this is a pretty common conundrum for NY --> Chicago moves). Some questions:

How do I move in January without having to take the Illinois bar? Assuming I've 100% decided I'm not taking the bar again, is my only option to wait until next July to move (don't want to do this b/c of bonus timing, and just really want to move as early as possible)? Will firms require me to take the Illinois bar to move? Any firm I move to will have an NY office, so would the firm take me on as an NY attorney, practicing in Chicago (but *not admitted to practice in Illinois), and then allow me to waive in to Illinois bar in July on reciprocity? Sounds like it's more realistic for corporate than it would be for lit, but perhaps I'm way off base and the scenario I just mentioned in highly unethical. Any advice is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

Silver

Re: NYC to Chicago Lateral - Illinois Bar Admission Questions

Post by 2013 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:59 pm

Why not just lateral to Kirkland, Sidley, etc. in NY now, then ask for a transfer next year after 3 years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2018 2:00 pm

2013 wrote:Why not just lateral to Kirkland, Sidley, etc. in NY now, then ask for a transfer next year after 3 years?
OP here: I don't want to stay in NYC longer, if I can avoid it.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue May 29, 2018 4:44 pm

You can ask if the Chicago firm will let you practice under the supervision of licensed attorneys until you can apply for reciprocity. Plenty of NY and CA attorneys move to firms on the other coast to do corporate work without taking another bar (and sometimes with only a year or two of experience).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 pm

If you post throw away email I will write you. Dealing with similar situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Marshmellow

New

Post by Marshmellow » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:00 pm

Curious as to how OP handled this issue eventually. I’m dealing with a similar situation now and would appreciate any insight!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 pm

When I was going through this process, the Illinois bar admission folks were really helpful and responsive. I'd call or send them an email.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:51 pm

Marshmellow wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:00 pm
Curious as to how OP handled this issue eventually. I’m dealing with a similar situation now and would appreciate any insight!
The Illinois bar specifically states you have to be licensed and physically in the jurisdiction from where you are trying to transfer.

Also consider using a UBE score transfer (I believe it is valid for 3 years in Illinois).

Separately, I know of some people have been told by their firms that they can practice under the supervision of an attorney from NY (or wherever they are transferring from) until they reach the 3 year mark to waive in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”