Suffering from Biglaw Burnout Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Suffering from Biglaw Burnout

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2018 5:05 pm

I am a third year corporate associate. I started at a Manhattan v20 and lateraled to a smaller, slower market, but still feel extremely burnt out and “over it” in terms of biglaw. Has anyone experienced this? Should I just take a vacation or is this a sign that it’s time to get out? This is obviously very personal. Just trying to gather anecdotal evidence as I weigh my options and decide on a path forward. Thanks.

bruinfan10

Silver

Re: Suffering from Biglaw Burnout

Post by bruinfan10 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:36 pm

Are you asking whether other people also decide to leave biglaw around year three? Are you new here? Statistically, the answer is yes, and in large numbers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2018 5:43 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:Are you asking whether other people also decide to leave biglaw around year three? Are you new here? Statistically, the answer is yes, and in large numbers.
OP here. The question is more whether people have contended with this burnout, how they dealt with it, and, if they left biglaw, whether they regretted it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2018 7:38 pm

I’m leaving biglaw as a seventh year associate for basically the same reasons. I’m going for a government job in my specialty with 46% of my former salary but great benefits and livable hours. Life is too short to spend it billing. I’d absolutely leave earlier if you can do anything else that will allow you to eat and sleep in a climate controlled room.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Mon May 07, 2018 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a third year corporate associate. I started at a Manhattan v20 and lateraled to a smaller, slower market, but still feel extremely burnt out and “over it” in terms of biglaw. Has anyone experienced this? Should I just take a vacation or is this a sign that it’s time to get out? This is obviously very personal. Just trying to gather anecdotal evidence as I weigh my options and decide on a path forward. Thanks.
Do you not take vacations often? One week where you get full coverage and completely log off will do wonders for your emotional well being. It may also provide some clarity about whether you are done with Biglaw (or even the law) or whether you just needed a break.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Tue May 08, 2018 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a third year corporate associate. I started at a Manhattan v20 and lateraled to a smaller, slower market, but still feel extremely burnt out and “over it” in terms of biglaw. Has anyone experienced this? Should I just take a vacation or is this a sign that it’s time to get out? This is obviously very personal. Just trying to gather anecdotal evidence as I weigh my options and decide on a path forward. Thanks.
I understand. I really think you should get out. Feeling a burn out after moving to a smaller, slower market (and likely smaller firm) usually means that you hate your job. I started as an associate in September and was feeling a burn out by December. I didn't even know it at the time. I would always think, "I hate going into this place in the mornings," but I just thought I would be a failure if I left. It's now May, and I'm still here. However, I am doing what needs to be done for my sanity and mental well-being -- I've started the process of getting out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2018 7:41 am

nothing is more important than your health. If you feel burnt out, go in house or go to a smaller firm . I choice in house because work-life balance.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Wed May 09, 2018 10:58 am

My strategy is to work through it, as long as you are moving ahead on your partnership track. This is not always an easy choice given the amount of work involved. That said, I know of lawyers at mid-level firms that are swamped with 60+ hours weeks, with little hope of securing the paycheck associated with a partnership income.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2018 3:43 pm

5th yr V50 here in a bigger market but small-ish practice group. Perfectly normal in my experience to feel burned out at year 3+, especially after plugging away for an extended period of time without any real time off.

I thought about going to a smaller firm as the solution to feeling burned out, but quickly learned it was not the right choice. I've even seen some in-house positions that are more stressful than Biglaw, with a different kind of pressure in place.

In reality all I needed to do was: 1) be more vocal with partners about how I was feeling; and 2) take a real vacation detached from my cell phone (international trips are good for this).

Not saying this is the case for your or anyone else feeling burned out, it was my personal experience. I was either too afraid or stubborn to raise these issues with the partners, and when I did it turned out to be no big deal and they understood completely. I feel silly now because it was just a whole lot of unnecessary pressure that I was putting on myself.

Depending on how the partner/firm reacts to the above, which I view as reasonable asks, you'll know if it is the place for you to be long term.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:5th yr V50 here in a bigger market but small-ish practice group. Perfectly normal in my experience to feel burned out at year 3+, especially after plugging away for an extended period of time without any real time off.

I thought about going to a smaller firm as the solution to feeling burned out, but quickly learned it was not the right choice. I've even seen some in-house positions that are more stressful than Biglaw, with a different kind of pressure in place.

In reality all I needed to do was: 1) be more vocal with partners about how I was feeling; and 2) take a real vacation detached from my cell phone (international trips are good for this).

Not saying this is the case for your or anyone else feeling burned out, it was my personal experience. I was either too afraid or stubborn to raise these issues with the partners, and when I did it turned out to be no big deal and they understood completely. I feel silly now because it was just a whole lot of unnecessary pressure that I was putting on myself.

Depending on how the partner/firm reacts to the above, which I view as reasonable asks, you'll know if it is the place for you to be long term.
I second that going to a smaller firm is a terrible risk. A lot of them make similar hours demands and have similarly toxic personalities but just for less pay. Cannot speak to whether in-house is a relief from biglaw or not. Have to assume it's better W/L balance in general.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 pm

Toni V wrote:My strategy is to work through it, as long as you are moving ahead on your partnership track. This is not always an easy choice given the amount of work involved. That said, I know of lawyers at mid-level firms that are swamped with 60+ hours weeks, with little hope of securing the paycheck associated with a partnership income.
Pretty sure there are lots of these in biglaw firms, too.

BigLaw Burnout

New

Post by BigLaw Burnout » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:36 pm

I continued in BigLaw for years after I was burned out. You can trudge through it and save a lot. Then I moved in-house. Hours were better but it's still stressful. Bottom line is that unless you're an expert in a great niche or paid your dues and become a pretty senior partner, this is the reality of being a lawyer. Take a long vacation with full coverage to re-charge. Save and invest. I talk about this on my blog, BigLawBurnout.com.

worklifewhat

New

Post by worklifewhat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:26 pm

BigLaw Burnout wrote:I continued in BigLaw for years after I was burned out. You can trudge through it and save a lot. Then I moved in-house. Hours were better but it's still stressful. Bottom line is that unless you're an expert in a great niche or paid your dues and become a pretty senior partner, this is the reality of being a lawyer. Take a long vacation with full coverage to re-charge. Save and invest. I talk about this on my blog, BigLawBurnout.com.
Awesome blog. If only I could replicate your investing success and retire in 11 years. Well done!

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:31 pm

I clerked as a 4th year and it gave me a chance to step back and evaluate what’s important to me and why I chose law in the first place. I went back to the firm recharged. I think it extended my biglaw career by several years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”