Do summer associates bring work home? How much is too expensive for a bag? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
uvalaw19

New

Do summer associates bring work home? How much is too expensive for a bag?

Post by uvalaw19 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:36 pm

A female in mid 20s going to biglaw in NY this summer.
I'm shopping to relieve some of my finals stress, and wondering if I should get a big tote for the summer.
Are summer associates expected to take work/laptop home and carry it with them?
I'm not sure if I should buy a large laptop purse or just a smaller one to take to lunch/dinner.

Also - I have a lot of designer bags (YSL, LV, Chanel, Celine, etc.) that cost roughly around $2,000 to $4,000 a bag.
They are not too flashy but if you are into bags (as I'd assume many senior associates and partners would be at biglaw), you can tell they are designer brands.
Is it better to get a Longchamp or a Kate Spade as a summer associate?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you all!

kiddie114

New

Re: Do summer associates bring work home? How much is too expensive for a bag?

Post by kiddie114 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:41 pm

long champ makes you look like a college student, kate spade is for sorority girls. There are other affordable mid-level designers which won't incur judgment. The gap between YSL Chanel and long champ/ kate spate is pretty wide

NYCounsel

New

Post by NYCounsel » Sun May 06, 2018 3:12 pm

I brought my mother such a bag for mother's day, based on three options she shared (including YSL).

The differences are noticeable from typical bags, especially if your YSL bag has the large logo. I'd shoot for something that's nice, but not flashy. Nice thread, by the way. If you don't mind, I also have questions that are related to being a summer associate and may not warrant another thread:

1. Do most or virtually biglaw firms provide work computers? In all my work experience, you don't bring your laptop, but use the company one (for good reasons, privacy, confidentiality, liability issues, etc.). It's the weekend, and I'm not gonna write to ask, even though I imagine they all check their emails 24/7. I might bring laptop just to be safe, but really don't want to carry it in a hot summer, when I'm already wearing a suit.

2. Tailored, well-fitting suits without a belt? What are people's thoughts on this? I've always ever worn mine without, given speeches, done photo ops, etc. without one, and even scored interviews and my summer associate that way, but imagine that once I get to the office and find myself removing the blazer (see Q3) it's more likely someone will notice I'm not wearing a belt.

3. So, I'm rocking a suit on day one even though biglaw firm is business casual. My guess is other SAs will, too, at least for the first day. This is based on searches here, on reddit, etc., trying to get a sense of what people typically wear. After wearing suit on day one, based on what business casual looks like, I'll adjust to it for other days.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sun May 06, 2018 3:50 pm

kiddie114 wrote:long champ makes you look like a college student, kate spade is for sorority girls. There are other affordable mid-level designers which won't incur judgment. The gap between YSL Chanel and long champ/ kate spate is pretty wide
This is really judgmental and very subjective. I do think it makes sense not to carry a $2000-4000 bag as a summer associate, but either of the above are fine. (I'll admit I'd stay away from the kind of kate spade that's striped or has bows on it or otherwise leans cutesy, but the issue is looking cutesy, not being kate spade.)

JHP

Bronze

Post by JHP » Sun May 06, 2018 4:28 pm

I definitely think looking at high end luxury name brands for a work bag is too much. Go to any Marshalls, Century21, Ross, Target, or any other equivalent store and you can find large work tote bags that are much more reasonably priced, sturdy, and clean cut. Especially in New York, you probably don't want to cart around an extremely expensive bag that can get dirty, banged up, and would have to withstand the weight of papers/folders/laptop. Michael Kors is probably the highest end "name brand" bag I would get from work, and even then I think there are more affordable non-luxury, non-name brand bags that function just as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gingerbread

New

Post by gingerbread » Sun May 06, 2018 4:55 pm

I wouldn't spend any time worrying about this. You just need a bag that's big and sturdy enough to take home your laptop and maybe a binder. Mine happens to be Kate Spade. Other than the 5 minutes it takes to get to your desk in the morning, your bag will just sit in your office and no one will notice or care. I have a little wristlet big enough for credit cards and phones that I grab out of my work tote for lunches -- just less cumbersome and easier to deal with.

kay12345

New

Post by kay12345 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:12 pm

I've been thinking about this too. IMHO the safest bet is to buy a discreet (i.e. no obvious designer logos/marks) but high quality leather tote. Everlane makes some beautiful bags at decent prices. Mansur Gavriel (which I've opted for) does as well, albeit at a higher price point than Everlane. If cost is a concern you can always check on eBay, Poshmark and TheRealReal.

uvalaw19

New

Post by uvalaw19 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:33 pm

kay12345 wrote:I've been thinking about this too. IMHO the safest bet is to buy a discreet (i.e. no obvious designer logos/marks) but high quality leather tote. Everlane makes some beautiful bags at decent prices. Mansur Gavriel (which I've opted for) does as well, albeit at a higher price point than Everlane. If cost is a concern you can always check on eBay, Poshmark and TheRealReal.
Thank you so much for your idea! Yeah, that's what I was thinking... cheap bags probably don't make your firm look too good if you have to go to a client meeting or something. I want to get good quality leather.

I've never heard of Everlane or Mansur Gavriel, but I'm so glad I found them! Thank you! I was thinking YSL Sac de Jour, but maybe that's not a good idea given everyone else's input.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2018 1:54 am

You should carry whatever makes you comfortable and something that you think you will use afterwards (dual utility is always best). The associate in the office next to mine carries a Birkin bag to work in addition to a no name tote. The only reason I know this is because I walk by her office everyday. I don’t think anyone else knows/cares that she carries a purse that costs more than cars.

I get that there is a difference between an associate and a summer, but I honestly don’t think anyone will care.

If you want the YSL sac de jour, just get it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veronica2015

New

Post by Veronica2015 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:36 am

When people in the other thread say that no one notices what you wear and this thread clearly indicates otherwise lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2018 9:39 am

This study comes to mind immediately:

https://abovethelaw.com/2017/03/why-hig ... t-believe/

Carrying a really expensive bag will probably hurt you. Not to mention, some people may notice and judge. I have heard a really smart classmate at a V50 laugh at coworkers over "frivolous" purchases like bags that cost thousands of dollars.

For now, try to blend in. Once you've proven yourself, go with whatever bag you like. And as another user noted, Kate Spade by itself isn't a problem, it's frilly/girly/non-professional looking Kate Spade that is. My friend's boss is a female partner who heads an appellate practice group. The partner uses a Coach bag.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2018 11:41 am

Is a red goyard with my initials on it too much? i need the size of a xl goyard. But mine is a red and an orange....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2018 1:45 pm

In my opinion, it is too much for the workplace. I think women in particular have to walk a fine line with their clothing/accessory choices: carry a cheap or unprofessional bag and you could be judged for being an amateur; carry a luxury bag and you'll be judged for being high maintenance or frivolous. I think what an above poster said about "blending in" is key. So, avoid obvious logos or other indications of cost/luxury and you can minimize the risk of being judged for anything other than your work product.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Mon May 07, 2018 4:55 pm

Nobody cares what bag anyone else carries. At all. If it is cute people will compliment it.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Mon May 07, 2018 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In my opinion, it is too much for the workplace. I think women in particular have to walk a fine line with their clothing/accessory choices: carry a cheap or unprofessional bag and you could be judged for being an amateur; carry a luxury bag and you'll be judged for being high maintenance or frivolous. I think what an above poster said about "blending in" is key. So, avoid obvious logos or other indications of cost/luxury and you can minimize the risk of being judged for anything other than your work product.
I'd second the blend-in comment.

If your concern is client perceptions (and I don't know how much chance you have of client interaction) then I'd avoid anything that is obviously really expensive unless you're practicing in something like entertainment law. Generally clients prefer not to be reminded of how much their legal fees are costing - it's like going to your dentist and seeing their brand new Tesla parked outside.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2018 1:16 pm

albanach wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In my opinion, it is too much for the workplace. I think women in particular have to walk a fine line with their clothing/accessory choices: carry a cheap or unprofessional bag and you could be judged for being an amateur; carry a luxury bag and you'll be judged for being high maintenance or frivolous. I think what an above poster said about "blending in" is key. So, avoid obvious logos or other indications of cost/luxury and you can minimize the risk of being judged for anything other than your work product.
I'd second the blend-in comment.

If your concern is client perceptions (and I don't know how much chance you have of client interaction) then I'd avoid anything that is obviously really expensive unless you're practicing in something like entertainment law. Generally clients prefer not to be reminded of how much their legal fees are costing - it's like going to your dentist and seeing their brand new Tesla parked outside.
The law firm I work at, my boss drives a Tesla. Hasn't been a problem with clients.

I generally agree with the comment that you want to blend in unless you're very self-assured and confident. And if your work product is stellar If you're thinking this much about what purse to carry, whether to wear a belt, the confidence isn't there to stick out.

On the flip side, I've also seen bank tellers or other people working minimum wage retail jobs driving Lamborghinis, Ferraris and McLarens into work. The girls have hermes bags, Jimmy Choo shoes, Bottega Veneta, Gucci. They stick out quite a bit from their co-workers and bosses. Actually quite common in Toronto, Vancouver and Arcadia where there are rich kids from China that just want a chill, part-time job in retail.

So, if you're that rich, you can drive and wear whatever you want. Stick out, who cares. You're far richer than anyone at the firm anyways. At least, that's the attitude I know of the people who do this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2018 11:40 am

is the above anon responding to my goyard question....?all my purse/ shoes are designer indeed. i can go buy a shinola tote just for work, sure. but shoes are hard, i only know manolo/ loubs

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Wed May 09, 2018 1:43 pm

This is one of those things that doesn't really matter for a new associate. Neat/clean and professional. Maybe the brand of your clothes and accessories will be a fun topic for small-talk, but otherwise most likely no one will give it any thought.

uvalaw19

New

Post by uvalaw19 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is a red goyard with my initials on it too much? i need the size of a xl goyard. But mine is a red and an orange....
I think red and orange Goyard is too much... IMO Goyard classic print is too much in general. If you want a tote, you should consider Saint Laurent Large shopper or Givenchy tote. Those are just black and has a tiny logo on them.

I've decided on YSL Sac de Jour in large, but that's probably not big enough for you if you want the XL Goyard size bag (that's huge!)

And about the shoes - to me, Loubs and MBs are too uncomfortable. I'm getting Naturalizer and Clark cushion heels for work :) These are unbelievably comfortable. I highly recommend you try them!

midwestrocks

New

Post by midwestrocks » Wed May 09, 2018 5:38 pm

The law firm I work at, my boss drives a Tesla. Hasn't been a problem with clients.

I generally agree with the comment that you want to blend in unless you're very self-assured and confident. And if your work product is stellar If you're thinking this much about what purse to carry, whether to wear a belt, the confidence isn't there to stick out.

On the flip side, I've also seen bank tellers or other people working minimum wage retail jobs driving Lamborghinis, Ferraris and McLarens into work. The girls have hermes bags, Jimmy Choo shoes, Bottega Veneta, Gucci. They stick out quite a bit from their co-workers and bosses. Actually quite common in Toronto, Vancouver and Arcadia where there are rich kids from China that just want a chill, part-time job in retail.

So, if you're that rich, you can drive and wear whatever you want. Stick out, who cares. You're far richer than anyone at the firm anyways. At least, that's the attitude I know of the people who do this.
I suspect people who work at retail jobs to actually make a living would resent rich kids who drive a lambo to work their parents bought so they can work at their "chill" job and never have to worry about money. Similarly, junior associates making massive debt payments might resent a summer who shows up with a YSL bag and designer heels. Not to say that you shouldn't do it--if you have the money and like that kind of stuff, then whatever--but I think people may notice and judge you a little.

da.goat

New

Post by da.goat » Wed May 09, 2018 7:03 pm

Came in to ask the title question of this thread - DO summers bring work home? Like if you leave at 6 every day should you expect to do at least another hour from home?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Wed May 09, 2018 8:37 pm

^ generally speaking: Nah.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2018 8:39 pm

midwestrocks wrote:

I suspect people who work at retail jobs to actually make a living would resent rich kids who drive a lambo to work their parents bought so they can work at their "chill" job and never have to worry about money. Similarly, junior associates making massive debt payments might resent a summer who shows up with a YSL bag and designer heels. Not to say that you shouldn't do it--if you have the money and like that kind of stuff, then whatever--but I think people may notice and judge you a little.
I don't think they care. Or that they're going to give up their luxury car collection because a few of their co-workers resent them. Besides, they go into work and do their jobs responsibly, with no drama.

Also, it could be advantageous to them too, they have really strong networks. I'm guessing if you pulled up to work in a Lamborghini tomorrow, a Ferrari Friday, and a Bentley Monday, some of your coworkers and bosses will want to get to know you. Or at least know how you came into that money.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed May 09, 2018 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is the above anon responding to my goyard question....?all my purse/ shoes are designer indeed. i can go buy a shinola tote just for work, sure. but shoes are hard, i only know manolo/ loubs
I promise you that if you want to find something other than manolo/loubs you will be quite able to find them. You can just walk into, say, a Nordstroms. It is actually not hard at all.

I generally don't care about what people wear and probably wouldn't recognize manolos (although the only ones I've seen are all way too dressy/fancy for work) but Louboutins would stick out for me in a bad way. Not that you should give a shit what I think, but if I feel like that, others may as well. (Or may not - you may end up at a workplace full of Louboutins or the like - but you can't know that till you've worked at a place for a bit.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Out of curiosity why loubs stick out the wrong way..?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”