Job Hunt Strategies Needed! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Job Hunt Strategies Needed!

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Hey everyone! I am super frustrated as I am having a very difficult time finding a new job. I currently hold a business and legal affairs coordinator position at an entertainment company. There seems to be no room for growth and quite frankly, I am ready to move on.

I have applied to 100s of jobs, only to receive generic rejection letters or no response at all. I have been using goinhouse.com, Indeed, craigslist and Linkedin. I have reached out to hiring managers/ in-house recruiters on LinkedIn and I see when they view my page, but do not respond to me. I have attended numerous networking events and sent out follow-up e-mails to persons who would tell me to connect with them- then of course, I would never receive a response. My law school (Top 30) is absolutely useless and told me to go on LinkedIn.

I reached out to a few staffing agencies and it has been nothing but BS from them. One agency secured an interview for me but immediately after, the recruiter went ghost. No follow-up on the interview, nothing. I even believe that some of these agencies lie about the positions they are supposedly recruiting for.

I am tired of these black hole job application systems. I need some new strategies. Any advice would be appreciated.

omar1

Bronze

Re: Job Hunt Strategies Needed!

Post by omar1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:54 am

Have you tried mass mailing law firms?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:14 pm

What kind of jobs are you applying to? Job postings can often be blackholes in certain markets. I would recommend that you start networking. Find someone in your preferred area that you have something in common with, get coffee with them and explain your circumstances. If you can be personable, most people will want to help you and offer to connect you with others. Keep running the networking train until someone tells you of something you might be interested in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Thanks for the responses. I will definitely apply to more law firms. I am mostly seeking trademark/ copyright attorney positions when I apply to law firms.

Thanks! I will reach out to some people on LinkedIn to set up coffee chats. I have been mostly applying to business and legal affairs positions in various industries, but mostly entertainment. Ahhh, entertainment is definitely a black hole industry. Sigh.

Thanks once again for the responses.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Breaking into "entertainment law" is extremely difficult. Good luck and report back.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”