internship with judges Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
uhwrestler

Bronze

internship with judges

Post by uhwrestler » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:29 am

i still haven't got a 1l summer positions
i was planning on mass mailing a bunch of judges at all levels in my home market

how exactly should i go about this should i send physical mail applications to their addresses or email my app to their clerks (the clerk emails are on the judge's webpage)?

kradle

New

Re: internship with judges

Post by kradle » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:29 am

I would probably start by calling the chambers of the judges you're interested in (especially if you can play a normal, competent person on the phone). Just mention you're interested in a summer internship, and ask whether the judge is considering applicants and how they'd prefer that you apply (paper, email, etc.). This will reduce the number of useless apps you have to send out, and if you're normal on the phone, might give the clerks a reason to consider yours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:11 pm

kradle wrote:I would probably start by calling the chambers of the judges you're interested in (especially if you can play a normal, competent person on the phone). Just mention you're interested in a summer internship, and ask whether the judge is considering applicants and how they'd prefer that you apply (paper, email, etc.). This will reduce the number of useless apps you have to send out, and if you're normal on the phone, might give the clerks a reason to consider yours.
I don't think this is good advice. Many chambers find such calls extremely annoying. I would mass mail paper apps.

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:53 pm

I'd also advise against calling. Most chambers I've been in would not look favorably upon receiving a call and I'm not sure you'd get a response if you had to leave a phone message. I also would steer away from e-mailing applications unless you find a posting where the chambers is specifically looking for summer interns and accepting applications via e-mail. Thus, only real option is to mass mail. That all said, if you are thinking federal district court, I think you're likely too late in applying. Many chambers fill their positions by the end of January/mid-February.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:44 am

ExperssioUnius wrote:I'd also advise against calling. Most chambers I've been in would not look favorably upon receiving a call and I'm not sure you'd get a response if you had to leave a phone message. I also would steer away from e-mailing applications unless you find a posting where the chambers is specifically looking for summer interns and accepting applications via e-mail. Thus, only real option is to mass mail. That all said, if you are thinking federal district court, I think you're likely too late in applying. Many chambers fill their positions by the end of January/mid-February.
i was planning on sending cover letter and resume obviously

but should i also send writing samples and transcript?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kradle

New

Post by kradle » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kradle wrote:I don't think this is good advice. Many chambers find such calls extremely annoying. I would mass mail paper apps.
Sorry if this is bad advice. I will say -- when I was in chambers, we got calls like this for both interns and clerks applications, and it was never seen as bothersome unless the person was annoying or long-winded. I also did this when applying for clerkships, and I thought the results were positive. However, could just be a fluke.

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:47 pm

You should include a writing sample (approx 10 pages, maybe 15 if that is all you have) and a transcript. We did not give much, if any, consideration to applications without those two items and the quality of the writing sample can be crucial to the evaluation process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”