I NEED A JOB AFTER GRADUATION (CLASS OF 2018) [NYC] Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I NEED A JOB AFTER GRADUATION (CLASS OF 2018) [NYC]

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Are there any firms in NYC/Long Island/NJ/CT that are still hiring 3L?

I DONT THINK ITS FAIR FOR LAW FIRMS TO OFFER ME SALARY OF 50K OR UNDER WHEN I WORKED HARD AND I AM GRADUATING WITH 6 FIGURE DEBT.

Anonymous User

Re: I NEED A JOB AFTER GRADUATION (CLASS OF 2018) [NYC]

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:50 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyle1978

New

Post by kyle1978 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:57 pm

This was posted on my law school's simplicity today:

Junior Associate - Gorlick, Kravitz & Listhaus PC:
Opportunity for an associate with 1+ years experience with excellent writing and research skills to do complex (mostly federal) litigation for a small labor and employee benefits practice, at Gorlick, Kravitz & Listhaus P.C., in downtown Manhattan. You will be exposed to ERISA, labor law and commercial litigation as well as develop skills in a small firm environment. Candidate must be organized, detail-oriented, thorough and efficient. Email resume, writing sample and references to mstein@gkllaw.com

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:59 pm

Are you looking for any kind of work, as long as the salary is right (i.e. you could care less if it's corp, lit, labor, PI, etc.)?

Where'd you go to school and what grades?

I know some of my classmates that got post-grad jobs late into 3L, but they generally had pretty strong grades (and were at a top school). I think the common wisdom of just keep mass-mailing to anything and everything certainly applies, because firms may not all post any open incoming associate positions, but it's possible that positions could open up if groups are busy and firms under-hired WRT their SA classes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:05 pm

I am interested in corp, mainly venture law, start ups, emerging companies. I am also interested in commercial lit. I am in my last semester of law school at Fordham, my first year grades were amazing 3.9 GPA then after my first year it went down. I have experience though.
PorscheFanatic wrote:Are you looking for any kind of work, as long as the salary is right (i.e. you could care less if it's corp, lit, labor, PI, etc.)?

Where'd you go to school and what grades?

I know some of my classmates that got post-grad jobs late into 3L, but they generally had pretty strong grades (and were at a top school). I think the common wisdom of just keep mass-mailing to anything and everything certainly applies, because firms may not all post any open incoming associate positions, but it's possible that positions could open up if groups are busy and firms under-hired WRT their SA classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:09 pm

So what's your approximate GPA now? Were you on law review?

Try to be much less specialized that startups and emerging companies. You need a job; that sort of specialization can come later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:14 pm

My GPA is a 2.8 now. I am not on law review. However, I am part of transactional moot competition and I was a legal research assistant for one of the institutes here at Fordham. I am also part of a transactional law clinic.
albanach wrote:So what's your approximate GPA now? Were you on law review?

Try to be much less specialized that startups and emerging companies. You need a job; that sort of specialization can come later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:15 pm

THANK YOU.
kyle1978 wrote:This was posted on my law school's simplicity today:

Junior Associate - Gorlick, Kravitz & Listhaus PC:
Opportunity for an associate with 1+ years experience with excellent writing and research skills to do complex (mostly federal) litigation for a small labor and employee benefits practice, at Gorlick, Kravitz & Listhaus P.C., in downtown Manhattan. You will be exposed to ERISA, labor law and commercial litigation as well as develop skills in a small firm environment. Candidate must be organized, detail-oriented, thorough and efficient. Email resume, writing sample and references to mstein@gkllaw.com

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:24 pm

Do you have a story to tell interviewers to explain how a 3.9 during the hardest part of law school ended in a 2.8 cumulative (that means you must have had semesters close to 2.0 during 2L and 3L)?

Also, what did you do 1L and 2L summers? Presumably neither of those turned into offers?

Has the issue been getting interviews, or are you getting screeners and just haven't converted any into an offer thus far?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My GPA is a 2.8 now. I am not on law review. However, I am part of transactional moot competition and I was a legal research assistant for one of the institutes here at Fordham. I am also part of a transactional law clinic.

That GPA is going to hurt, but you know that already. I think you need to mass-mail everywhere. Do any networking you can, and don't let your final semester grades drag you any further down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:34 pm

I actually do have a story. I lost both my grandmothers back to back during my 2L year and then in 2017 I called off my wedding because my ex-fiance got someone else pregnant. So, 2016-2017, I was suffering from severe depression.

My 1L SUMMER: I worked at an immigration law firm and I also own a summer camp, so I managed that all summer.
MY 2L Summer: I worked as an SA at an insurance defense firm.

I have not been getting any interviews. I did fall oci 2017, and got two interviews but no callbacks.
PorscheFanatic wrote:Do you have a story to tell interviewers to explain how a 3.9 during the hardest part of law school ended in a 2.8 cumulative (that means you must have had semesters close to 2.0 during 2L and 3L)?

Also, what did you do 1L and 2L summers? Presumably neither of those turned into offers?

Has the issue been getting interviews, or are you getting screeners and just haven't converted any into an offer thus far?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:35 pm

THANK YOU
albanach wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My GPA is a 2.8 now. I am not on law review. However, I am part of transactional moot competition and I was a legal research assistant for one of the institutes here at Fordham. I am also part of a transactional law clinic.

That GPA is going to hurt, but you know that already. I think you need to mass-mail everywhere. Do any networking you can, and don't let your final semester grades drag you any further down.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually do have a story. I lost both my grandmothers back to back during my 2L year and then in 2017 I called off my wedding because my ex-fiance got someone else pregnant. So, 2016-2017, I was suffering from severe depression.

My 1L SUMMER: I worked at an immigration law firm and I also own a summer camp, so I managed that all summer.

I have not been getting any interviews. I did fall oci 2017, and got two interviews but no callbacks.
PorscheFanatic wrote:Do you have a story to tell interviewers to explain how a 3.9 during the hardest part of law school ended in a 2.8 cumulative (that means you must have had semesters close to 2.0 during 2L and 3L)?

Wow, sorry to hear OP. IMO opinion, that's probably a sufficient story (you may have to explain that you're now in a good place mentally and ready to go back to working hard--so make sure your final semester grades reflect that).

Not surprisingly, getting interviews will be a hurdle because employers are probably looking at GPA first and foremost, so you don't get a chance to explain yourself. You should start mass-mailing everywhere that you possibly can, and networking with anyone that you can. Tap into family and friend networks if you have relatives or family friends that are lawyers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Thank you, will do.

PorscheFanatic wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I actually do have a story. I lost both my grandmothers back to back during my 2L year and then in 2017 I called off my wedding because my ex-fiance got someone else pregnant. So, 2016-2017, I was suffering from severe depression.

Wow, sorry to hear OP. IMO opinion, that's probably a sufficient story (you may have to explain that you're now in a good place mentally and ready to go back to working hard--so make sure your final semester grades reflect that).

Not surprisingly, getting interviews will be a hurdle because employers are probably looking at GPA first and foremost, so you don't get a chance to explain yourself. You should start mass-mailing everywhere that you possibly can, and networking with anyone that you can. Tap into family and friend networks if you have relatives or family friends that are lawyers.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:10 pm

OP: Consider rephrasing "suffering from severe depression" to something like "needed time to help family & to reflect".

Good luck. With persistence & hard work you should do well. Often bar membership opens up some opportunities.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”