Continue practicing or compliance Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A1phatraz

New

Continue practicing or compliance

Post by A1phatraz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi all,

I went to a T2, median, secondary journal. I've been a prosecutor in a large metro for about 2 1/2 years. I'm realizing that I don't like to be on trial. Hate prepping for it, hate taking testimony, hate witness prep, too much stress. I'm looking to do something different. Wife wants to move back to Charlotte NC within the next year (where she's from). I've contemplated taking the NC bar (since i've only been admitted 2 years), but i've also been thinking about trying to move into a compliance role at a bank. I've seen the various threads on here and through google about compliance, but does anyone have any information on salary, career progression, etc compared to practicing law within recent years? Can any compliance professionals on here give any insight on what you do daily?

I've also thought about a different practice area, but am unsure if my experience as a prosecutor would translate to a higher paying legal job compared to a career in compliance. Money is a motivation for me right now since my wife is social worker, and we have a 1 year old. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

jd20132013

Silver

Re: Continue practicing or compliance

Post by jd20132013 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:19 pm

what about sending some apps to biglaw selling yourself as a "trial lawyer"

Even if u hate it you can make it 15 months, grab a. K us and then move on

A1phatraz

New

Post by A1phatraz » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:58 pm

Interesting idea, I didn't know that was exit option. Thing is, I only have Bench trial experience. I would imagine presenting a case to a Jury is very different from presenting it to a Judge. Appreciate the advice though.

JohnJSullivan

New

Post by JohnJSullivan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:56 am

I have the same question. I don't necessarily hate the legal work so far, but don't particularly like it. I've heard compliance is a pretty good field. Even talked to one of my former classmates who went into it and prefers it over doing legal work

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:27 pm

A1phatraz wrote:Interesting idea, I didn't know that was exit option. Thing is, I only have Bench trial experience. I would imagine presenting a case to a Jury is very different from presenting it to a Judge. Appreciate the advice though.
How far away are you from getting to do a jury trial? Is there a process/timeline in your office? Can you hint that you're willing and ready?

Seems if you're going to walk away after a few years, it would be better if you could reach that point first. That way, if you ever do return to the law, you have the experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A1phatraz

New

Post by A1phatraz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:43 pm

It would probably be another 6 months before I can second seat, and then a year after that before I can have the opportunity to do one on my own. If I did consider continuing to practice, I would prefer something where I am not in court as much. I am just curious if my long term career and salary prospects are worth the time needed to find a new legal job, as opposed to trying to get into compliance and working up that career ladder. Im 28, so I'm trying to get as much information as I can and choose a long term path while still relatively young.

Also I am looking to move to Charlotte, NC around October of this year so I would be taking the bar exam and looking for a new legal job in a new market. Not sure if anyone has any insight into switching legal markets.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:15 pm

Insight is that you need to be a member of the state bar in your new location.

Charlotte, as you know, is a banking center. Compliance work is not high pay typically, but should pay much better than local prosecutorial positions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”