Advice for HYS grad Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice for HYS grad

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:18 pm

I graduated from HYS in June.

I turned down 2L summer internship to do my own startup instead. It's had zero success and I have no funds left.

Grades are almost straight Ps

I have a STEM (computer science) background, but not patent-bar eligible major (I think I have enough engineering courses to cover the category D or whatever it is, but I still need the 8 credits for physics/bio/chem).

Any chance of going back into law?

edit: did not take bar

Anonymous User

Re: Advice for HYS grad

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Um, yes.

Move to NorCal, pass the CA bar, and hawk your resume at any of the Valley corporate firms. If that doesn't work (or isn't what you want), just work with a patent lit recruiter.

Or, if you want, get an offer first and then get the firm to pay for you to take the bar.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:47 pm

This may seem obvious, but I would also contact your career services office. They can help you get in contact with alumni, spin your story, blah blah blah. It'll be kind of a bitch but I'm sure you can get *something*

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 pm

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Honestly, I don't think it will be particularly difficult for you to find a job. It may not be what you might have ended up with had you not gone on this little detour, but you went to HYS and received an offer from your 2L firm. You'll be fine. Many interviewers will probably curious to hear the story of your start up failing. I would just say that you did really want to be lawyer, but you viewed the start up as a once in a lifetime opportunity, that you would have regretted not pursuing for the rest of your life, had you not gone for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”